Vegan snowball cookies – light, delicious, and so festive!
Would you like just ONE more holiday cookie recipe? Maybe you still have a little baking to do, and need a fantastically easy and delicious cookie recipe? Perhaps you would like it to be gluten free and vegan? Oh, and have a little chocolate, too?
Perfect! I have just the thing. Snowball cookies! We love, love, LOVE these cookies so much.
This is a great cookie recipe to try if you’re short on time and need a quick, successful, allergy friendly holiday dessert.
Some people like to make these snowball cookies with chopped nuts, but of course that doesn’t work if you have nut allergies. Many people add mini chocolate chips instead – and that’s the way we like these cookies.
The chocolate chips add a little more sweetness to these cookies, which aren’t terribly sweet. They are buttery and kind of like shortbread, but not as rich.
I’ve made these a couple of different ways in the past few weeks. I’ve tried it with a gluten free flour blend, and I’ve tried it with white spelt flour. It does work well both ways! It would also work just fine with regular all-purpose flour, too. I did notice with the spelt flour, they spread out just a little tiny bit. Not flat, but not totally round. They tasted amazing, though. If you are not vegan, go ahead and use regular dairy butter.
- ¾ cup vegan buttery spread* (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I have used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour Blend, and also the Glutino GF Blend)
- ½ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put about a cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the vegan buttery spread, vanilla extract, applesauce, salt, and granulated sugar.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and add the gluten free flour a half cup at a time, untill it is all incorporated. The dough will be very thick.
- Turn the mixer off and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into one inch balls and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 18-23 minutes, until the balls are golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15-20 minutes before rolling.
- While the cookies are warm, roll them in the powdered sugar. Let the cookies cool fully, then roll in the powdered sugar again to get a nice white coating.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from here.
These really are one of my very favorite Christmas cookies! Are you still doing any baking, or are you done?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017