A decadent cup of rich coconut cream hot chocolate is just perfect for a frigid winter afternoon. This rich dairy free cocoa is a great way to treat yourself! Sit down and warm up with your favorite cookies and a cup of this cocoa.
It’s February, and it’s still so cold and snowy, so it feels like a great day for a cup of the richest hot chocolate.
This coconut cream hot chocolate is so rich and delicious. You’ll need full fat coconut milk in a can (I like Thai Kitchen brand, or Native Forest brand because they have a thick layer of coconut cream on top), and you’ll need some dark chocolate.
I used the 85% cacao chips from Pascha Chocolate. You could also use a bar of dark chocolate and chop it up before adding it to the cocoa.
You can use a lighter chocolate if you wish, but I prefer the dark chocolate flavor here. This coconut cream hot cocoa is easy to make, and it really is a very rich drink – this is a good drink for sipping on a snowy day.
If you find that this is too rich and thick for you, just add a bit more non-dairy milk until it is too your liking.
- full fat coconut milk
- dark chocolate chips
- non-dairy milk
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the coconut cream and the dark chocolate in a sauce pan, and heat over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
2. Add the sugar and non-dairy milk, continuing to stir over low heat, until the hot chocolate is heated through.
3. Pour into mugs and enjoy! Top with marshmallows if desired.
- Add a few drops of peppermint extract and serve with a candy cane in each mug.
- Use lighter chocolate chips for a milder flavor.
What to Serve with Hot Chocolate
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Decadent Coconut Cream Hot Chocolate.
This is a rich and decadent coconut cream hot chocolate recipe that's sure to be enjoyed on a cold day!
- 8 ounces full fat unsweetened coconut milk drain off the coconut water, just use the cream
- ½ cup dairy free dark chocolate chips I used PASCHA 85% chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 ¼ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage – the kind from the refrigerator case
Open the can of coconut milk, and use a spoon to scoop out the coconut cream. Place it in a small saucepan. Discard the coconut water.
Warm the milk over medium low heat. Add the dairy free dark chocolate chips, then stir until the chocolate melts completely.
Add the organic cane sugar and stir.
Add the non-dairy milk and stir until all ingredients are smooth and combined.
Pour into tea cups or mugs. Serve with a marshmallow if desired.
Each can of coconut milk is about 14 ounces. This recipe requires about 8 ounces of coconut cream, so use a spoon to scoop out the coconut cream, and discard the coconut water.
If you want a lighter chocolate flavor, use semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
This recipe makes about three 6 ounce servings. It is rich and thick, so the serving size is smaller than a typical cup of cocoa.