A decadent cup of rich coconut cream hot chocolate is just perfect for a frigid winter afternoon. This rich dairy free cocoa is a great way to treat yourself! Sit down and warm up with your favorite cookies and a cup of this cocoa.
It’s February, and it’s still so cold and snowy, so it feels like a great day for a cup of the richest hot chocolate.
This coconut cream hot chocolate is so rich and delicious. You’ll need full fat coconut milk in a can (I like Thai Kitchen brand, or Native Forest brand because they have a thick layer of coconut cream on top), and you’ll need some dark chocolate.
I used the 85% cacao chips from Pascha Chocolate. You could also use a bar of dark chocolate and chop it up before adding it to the cocoa.
You can use a lighter chocolate if you wish, but I prefer the dark chocolate flavor here. This coconut cream hot cocoa is easy to make, and it really is a very rich drink – this is a good drink for sipping on a snowy day.
If you find that this is too rich and thick for you, just add a bit more non-dairy milk until it is too your liking.
- full fat coconut milk
- dark chocolate chips
- non-dairy milk
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the coconut cream and the dark chocolate in a sauce pan, and heat over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
2. Add the sugar and non-dairy milk, continuing to stir over low heat, until the hot chocolate is heated through.
3. Pour into mugs and enjoy! Top with marshmallows if desired.
- Add a few drops of peppermint extract and serve with a candy cane in each mug.
- Use lighter chocolate chips for a milder flavor.
What to Serve with Hot Chocolate
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Decadent Coconut Cream Hot Chocolate.
- 8 ounces full fat unsweetened coconut milk drain off the coconut water, just use the cream
- ½ cup dairy free dark chocolate chips I used PASCHA 85% chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 ¼ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage – the kind from the refrigerator case
- Open the can of coconut milk, and use a spoon to scoop out the coconut cream. Place it in a small saucepan. Discard the coconut water.
- Warm the milk over medium low heat. Add the dairy free dark chocolate chips, then stir until the chocolate melts completely.
- Add the organic cane sugar and stir.
- Add the non-dairy milk and stir until all ingredients are smooth and combined.
- Pour into tea cups or mugs. Serve with a marshmallow if desired.