Fresh and healthy asparagus is paired with quinoa and a tangy lemon mustard vinaigrette dressing. This asparagus quinoa salad is a wonderful side dish for summer!
It’s March!! We made it! We made it through February. And now we are getting close to spring, and warmer temperatures, and NO SNOW. (I hope).
With these thoughts of spring, I thought a light and fresh recipe was in order today. I realized that for some reason, I’ve never shared any asparagus recipes here. Which is pretty weird, because we eat asparagus fairly often around here. We even eat asparagus on toast sometimes! It’s an old recipe that Darryl’s mom and dad make – asparagus is cooked in a simple creamy sauce and then spooned over hot, buttered toast. It’s so delicious!
We also love asparagus roasted in the oven – it’s probably the easiest way to enjoy it. With a drizzle of olive oil, some salt, and pepper, asparagus becomes wonderfully flavorful after just a short while in the oven. I used thin asparagus for this recipe – I find that it’s the most tender. But if you have the thicker variety, that will work – just cook it for a little longer.
I wanted to share this simple dish today – asparagus and quinoa dressed with lemon mustard vinaigrette.
I love to make this for a quick and healthy lunch, but it’s also really nice for a side dish at dinner time. You can serve this alongside roasted chicken or fish for a light but filling meal. This is also a very fast meal to prepare. You put the quinoa on the stove, and quickly cook the asparagus in the oven and make the dressing while the asparagus cooks. Once everything is done, just toss it all together and that’s it! Very easy.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- small onion, chopped
- two garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- drizzle of olive oil
- juice from one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- two garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the quinoa, the sliced garlic, chopped onion, olive oil, and two cups of water in a medium sized pot. Bring the quinoa to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes until the quinoa is fluffy and the little ring around the quinoa has loosened.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the asparagus. Rinse the asparagus and remove the tough ends. Place the asparagus on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and chop each stalk into three pieces. Drizzle the asparagus with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the asparagus at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes, until bright green and crisp tender.
- While the asparagus cooks, prepare the dressing: combine the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small jar with a lid. Shake will to mix thoroughly.
- Place the quinoa and asparagus in a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Have you seen any signs of spring where you are? What’s your favorite way to eat asparagus?