Creamy potato leek soup is dairy free and gluten free, but still so delicious! Rich, creamy, and so satisfying!
We’ve had a little fall preview here in Michigan with very cool days (this morning it was in the 50’s). The other day it was cool and grey and I just felt like I had to make soup. I couldn’t be stopped…it’s that chilly fall air, I think. (Thank goodness nothing drastic happened, like buying pumpkins or a plaid flannel shirt).
Even though it looks like summer will be back next week, I’m glad I have this creamy potato leek soup recipe in my arsenal for when fall really arrives. You can never have too many potato soup recipes!
Creamy Potato Leek Soup.
- 3 leeks white and light green parts
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread or real butter
- 6 Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- cooked bacon
Clean the leeks: Remove the dark green parts and the root ends and discard. Cut the leeks in half and then slice them into half moons. Place in a large bowl of cold water and use your hands to agitate to remove all the dirt. Remove from the water carefully, making sure any dirt stays at the bottom of the bowl.
Put the vegan buttery spread, leeks, and celery in a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes.
Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the non-dairy milk and salt and stir. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. I like to leave some potato chunks in there - you can decide how smooth you want the soup to be.
Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve topped with fresh parsley and bacon.
This creamy potato leek soup is:
- gluten free and dairy free
- so warming on a cool day
- a delicious dinner when served with salad and bread
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Tasty Delicata Squash Taco Boats. - September 18, 2017
- Grain Free Coconut Porridge. - September 13, 2017
- Gluten Free Banana Cake with Decadent Chocolate Buttercream. - August 31, 2017