This dairy free potato leek soup is a wonderfully warming recipe that your whole family will love. It’s creamy, delicious, and so satisfying. Serve it with a green salad and some gluten free crackers for an easy meal!
Even though spring is technically here, we have still had some chilly temps, and will continue to do so for a while. So, I will still be reaching for soup recipes for a few more weeks!
And this dairy free potato leek soup is just the recipe to make when you’re craving easy comfort food.
This is a really simple recipe: it just requires celery, leeks, potatoes, stock, and non-dairy milk. After some time simmering, you’ll need to blend it all up with your immersion blender, and then enjoy!
- vegan buttery spread
- chicken stock
- non-dairy milk
- salt and pepper
- Place the leeks and celery in a large pot along with the vegan buttery spread. Cook until softened.
- Add the potatoes and stock, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the non-dairy milk, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and puree with the immersion blender.
- Top with bacon or ham if desired.
You can use any non-dairy milk that works for your diet. I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. You could use rice milk, oat milk, soy milk, or any milk you choose that does not have a strong flavor.
- I love the flavor of leeks in this soup, but if you don’t have them, you can go ahead and use a regular onion
- If you can’t have bacon, you can leave it out or use vegan bacon
- Use any broth that works for your particular dietary needs
Leeks can have some dirt and grit in them, so you do want to clean them thoroughly before you use them in a recipe.
Just trim off the dark green ends, and the root end of the white part. Then slice the leeks into rings and rinse under water. Place the sliced leeks in a bowl of water and swirl them around, then drain.
You can read more about how to clean leeks here.
More Dairy Free Soups
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Potato Leek Soup.
- 3 leeks white and light green parts
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread or real butter
- 6 Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- cooked bacon
- Clean the leeks: Remove the dark green parts and the root ends and discard. Cut the leeks in half and then slice them into half moons. Place in a large bowl of cold water and use your hands to agitate to remove all the dirt. Remove from the water carefully, making sure any dirt stays at the bottom of the bowl.
- Put the vegan buttery spread, leeks, and celery in a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the non-dairy milk and salt and stir. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. I like to leave some potato chunks in there – you can decide how smooth you want the soup to be.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve topped with fresh parsley and bacon.