Nothing says summer like strawberry shortcake.
Am I right? Juicy strawberries, ice cream, and easy to make shortcakes – this is the perfect summer dessert.
When I was little, I was super fascinated with the recipes on the back of the Bisquick box. In addition to the pancake and waffle recipes, there were other more interesting recipes such as chicken pot pie, cheesy onion biscuits, and strawberry shortcake. I liked to convince my mom and dad to try these recipes, and in fact, some of my first experiences cooking on my own involved Bisquick. I think I was about 12 or so when I started to experiment in the kitchen (at that time, macaroni and cheese and Bisquick related recipes were about as adventurous as I got).
Anyway, the strawberry shortcake recipe was a hit! It was so good – not too sweet, not too heavy, it was just right.
This recipe doesn’t use a boxed mix, but it’s just as simple. Mixing the shortcakes takes just a few minutes, and while they are baking you can mix the berries with sugar and let them macerate. Add a pint of ice cream and you’re good to go!
- 2 cups white spelt flour (all-purpose works fine, too)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla coconut milk yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I use SO Delicious brand)
- more sugar for top
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- non-dairy ice cream of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the spelt flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Add the vegan butter spread and use a pastry blender to cut it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the yogurt and coconut milk and mix until just combined.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Shape the dough into round biscuits. You should have 8 biscuits. Sprinkle sugar on top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
- While the biscuits bake, put the strawberries and 3 Tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl and stir so that all the strawberries are covered with sugar.
- Once the biscuits are done, let them cool on the cookie sheet.
- To assemble shortcakes, slice them in half and then put a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Pour strawberries and juice on top. Enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe and this recipe.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017