This vegan blueberry crumble bar recipe is super simple, and the blueberry filling and buttery topping is delicious. This bar is the perfect dessert to serve at a summer barbecue.
Summer is the best time for berries, isn’t it? Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are plentiful and always taste better at this time of year.
These blueberry crumble bars are really easy to put together, which is why I usually go for a berry crisp or crumble rather than a pie. A pie involves much more time and work – making, rolling, and chilling the dough – but a crumble or crisp just involves mixing up the topping and baking everything. So easy, and that leaves me more time for other summer activities.
- Blueberries – You can use fresh or frozen blueberries here. Either will work well!
- Oats – If you are gluten free, you will need to make sure you get certified gluten free oats. One brand to check out is GF Harvest, which produces their oats in an allergy friendly facility.
- Sugar – I like brown sugar in this recipe, but if you are in a pinch, white sugar can work, too. You could use coconut sugar, but the color of the crumble will be a little darker.
- If you want to make this recipe with different berries, you can! Try raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries, like in my blackberry crumble bars.
- If you can’t have oats, you can try to make this with a mix of flour (or gluten free flour), and shredded coconut. The shredded coconut will give the topping texture.
- I don’t recommend using oil in this recipe. Stick to using vegan buttery spread or regular butter if you are not dairy free.
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix up the vegan buttery spread, certified gluten free oats, sugar, and gluten free flour.
- Press half of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a square pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake the bottom crust at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the blueberries.
- Put the blueberries on top of the crust.
- Put the remaining crumble on top of the blueberries, and gently press it down with your hands.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing into bars.
- Lining the pan with parchment paper will help prevent the bars from sticking to the pan.
- Make sure to let the bars to cool completely if you would like to cut these into neat squares.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars (Gluten Free).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, place the gluten free oats, gluten free flour blend, vegan butter spread, and brown sugar. Use a pastry blender to mix it together. The mixture should resemble large crumbs, and there should be some balls of brown sugar and butter.
- Place half of the crumble mixture in the bottom of a 8×8 square baking dish. Use your hands to pat it down.
- Bake the bottom crust for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Put the blueberries in the pan, and spread evenly over the crust. Top with the remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool before slicing into bars.