It’s still August…but I made soup.
I don’t know whether to feel happy or sad. I’m so conflicted! We’ve had a little fall preview here in Michigan with very cool days (this morning it was in the 50’s). The other day it was cool and grey and I just felt like I had to make soup. I couldn’t be stopped…it’s that chilly fall air, I think. (Thank goodness nothing drastic happened, like buying pumpkins or a plaid flannel shirt).
Even though it looks like summer will be back next week, I’m glad I have this recipe in my arsenal for when fall really arrives. You can never have too many potato soup recipes!
- 3 leeks - white and light green parts
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread (or real butter)
- 6 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- cooked bacon
- Clean the leeks: Remove the dark green parts and the root ends and discard. Cut the leeks in half and then slice them into half moons. Place in a large bowl of cold water and use your hands to agitate to remove all the dirt. Remove from the water carefully, making sure any dirt stays at the bottom of the bowl.
- Put the vegan buttery spread, leeks, and celery in a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and stir. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. I like to leave some potato chunks in there - you can decide how smooth you want the soup to be.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve topped with fresh parsley and bacon.
Linking up to Allergy Free Wednesdays and some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017