Vegan creamy mushroom soup has a savory flavor and velvety texture. It’s a wonderful soup to enjoy in the winter!
So, I’ve made this mushroom soup twice recently, and it is so good. Really, really good.
But…I have hesitated to share the recipe, because of its appearance. I mean, mushroom soup is…creamy, flavorful, delicious, warming, hearty, and, um…brown. Or would you say greyish brown? Perhaps taupe.
Due to its natural color, I had a terrible time photographing this vegan creamy mushroom soup. But I persisted, because it is so delicious, and I had to share it. If you love mushrooms like we do, then you need to make this soup ASAP. Just don’t try to photograph it, because you will wind up tearing your hair out. :) I tried different bowls, different backgrounds, different props, then I stopped everything and ate a big bowl of it. :)
Darryl arrived home and ate two bowls full and said it was the “best mushroom soup ever!” and “You should put this on your blog!” <- Direct quote.
So here it is, in all its creamy, flavorful, mushroom-y glory.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Soup.
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 24 ounces white button mushrooms washed and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot starch
- 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- In a large soup pot, cook the onion and garlic in the vegan buttery spread over medium heat. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and wine and cook until the mushrooms are soft and browned.
- Add the dried spices, tamari, and vinegar and stir.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and partially puree the soup with an immersion blender. I like to leave some larger pieces of mushrooms for texture. You can completely puree it if you would prefer a totally smooth soup.
Place the pan back on the heat, and add the 3 cups of non-dairy milk. Stir, and cook until the soup just starts to simmer.
In a small cup, whisk together the corn starch and 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk. Drizzle this mixture into the soup, and stir while the soup simmers. It will start to thicken up.
- Remove from heat, add more salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
Serve this vegan creamy mushroom soup with:
- biscuits with vegan buttery spread
- a green salad
- homemade oatmeal crackers
Note: You can make this with other types of mushrooms. If you use Portobello mushrooms, it does turn the soup kind of a dark shade that I was not too fond of. You can also use whatever type of milk suits your needs.