This easy dairy free cheesy vegetable soup is sure to warm you up on a chilly winter day! This family friendly soup is full of veggies and flavor!
What do you crave in the cold winter months? Comfort food, right?
Cheesy, creamy, tasty recipes that will warm you up and keep you full.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a cheese based soup, so I thought I would try to make it with dairy free substitutions. This dairy free cheesy vegetable soup turned out to be very tasty! And it’s so incredibly simple, plus it’s a fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeks.
If you don’t need to be dairy free, you can go ahead and make this cheesy vegetable soup with regular cheese and regular milk. It will still be delicious.
What should I serve with dairy free cheesy vegetable soup?
What dairy free milk works best for soup recipes?
I think a neutral tasting milk is best. I like So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. You could try unsweetened rice milk or flax milk if you like. If you don’t have allergies, almond or soy milk would also work.
What dairy free cheese tastes the most like real cheese?
Everyone has different tastes, so I can’t tell you which dairy free cheese you will like best. Daiya cheddar shreds work really well in this recipe. Try a few varieties of vegan cheese and see which one works for you! Make sure to read the label to find a variety that is safe for your dietary needs.
This post has lots of information and reviews on various vegan cheeses.
Should I use fresh vegetables or frozen vegetables in soup recipes?
You can use either in this recipe! If you are short on time, frozen vegetables are a good option because they are already cleaned and chopped.
If you make the rice ahead of time, this soup can be made in just 15 minutes. How’s that for a speedy meal?
Another quick and easy soup recipe is this white bean potato soup – so delicious!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Cheesy Vegetable Soup.
This dairy free cheesy vegetable soup is the perfect way to warm up on a freezing winter's day. Gluten free and allergy friendly soup recipe.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Daiya cheddar shreds
- 4 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk I used SO Delicious brand
- 2 cups cooked rice I used Jasmine rice, you could use any white or brown rice
- 16 ounces frozen California vegetable medley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the chopped onion and olive oil in a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 5-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the unsweetened coconut milk and Daiya cheddar shreds. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked rice, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, and sea salt. Cook until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a salad or crackers.
Store leftover soup in the refrigerator. It should be good for 4-5 days.
This easy dairy free cheesy vegetable soup is:
- suitable for vegans
- gluten free and top 8 allergen free
- so comforting and satisfying
- perfect for an easy dinner or lunch
This post was originally published in December 2015.