This easy dairy free cheesy vegetable soup is sure to warm you up on a chilly winter day! This family friendly soup is so comforting – a creamy base and lots of veggies and rice make this recipe a winner.
What do you crave in the cold winter months? Comfort food, right?
Everyone loves cheesy, creamy, tasty recipes that will warm you up and keep you full.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a cheese based soup, so I thought I would try to make it with dairy free substitutions. This dairy free cheesy vegetable soup turned out to be very tasty! And it’s so incredibly simple, plus it’s a fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeks.
If you don’t need to be dairy free, you can go ahead and make this soup with regular cheese and regular milk. It will still be delicious.
- Non-Dairy Milk – I think a neutral tasting milk is best. I like So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. You could try unsweetened rice milk or flax milk if you like. If you don’t have allergies, almond or soy milk would also work.
- Non-Dairy Cheese – Everyone has different tastes, so I can’t tell you which dairy free cheese you will like best. I like the Daiya Cheddar Style Block – I just shred it myself. Try a few varieties of vegan cheese and see which one works for you! Make sure to read the label to find a variety that is safe for your dietary needs. This post has lots of information and reviews on various vegan cheeses.
- Vegetables – You can use either fresh or frozen vegetables in this recipe! If you are short on time, frozen vegetables are a good option because they are already cleaned and chopped.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the rice of your choice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cook the chopped onion in olive oil, then add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in the dairy free shredded cheese until melted.
- Stir in the cooked rice and the vegetables. Add the garlic powder and salt.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
There are so many ways to make comfort food without dairy or gluten. View a few of the recipes in the video below.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Cheesy Vegetable Soup.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups Daiya cheddar shreds or cheddar block
- 32 ounces unsweetened coconut milk I used SO Delicious brand
- 2 cups cooked rice I used Jasmine rice, you could use any white rice
- 16 ounces frozen California vegetable medley you could also use fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the chopped onion and olive oil in a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the unsweetened coconut milk and heat to a simmer. Add the Daiya cheddar shreds. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked rice, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, and sea salt. Cook until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a salad or crackers.