These vegan and gluten free donuts are baked in a donut pan and topped with a rich chocolate frosting! A perfect donut for a weekend treat.
So, it’s National Donut Day, did you hear? You can run right out and get free donuts from some places if you want to!
Or if you’re like our family, and can’t do donut shops due to the stray nuts, eggs, dairy, gluten, soy, (insert other allergen here), then you may want to stay home and make donuts. I have just the recipe for you!
You know, is there ever a time when a double chocolate donut isn’t a good idea? I just don’t think so. And gluten free donuts are always welcome, aren’t they? Even better if they are vegan and nut free!
I made these at the end of a super crazy week – we had been doing some little home projects and it just was a busy and long week, and I felt we all needed a treat. The boys went crazy over these – these gluten free donuts are soft and tender, and the rich frosting on top makes these really decadent.
If you want to skip the frosting (Why would you do that?!) you can. These are delicious plain, or you could dust them with a bit of powdered sugar. If you’ve got some extra zucchini around, you might want to try my chocolate zucchini donut recipe.
These double chocolate vegan and gluten free donuts are:
- rich and decadent
- easy to make in a donut pan
- the perfect treat for a weekend breakfast
- top 8 allergen free
Double Chocolate Vegan and Gluten Free Donuts.
For the donuts:
- 1/6 cup organic canola oil
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tablespoons mashed banana
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend of your choice I used King Arthur's gluten free blend, You could also make these with regular all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tablespoon non-dairy milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan. (Even if it is non-stick, I still recommend greasing it).
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the organic canola oil, mashed banana, vanilla, and non-dairy milk. Stir well.
Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 11-14 minutes.
Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn pan over onto a cookie sheet and tap to remove donuts.
While the donuts cool, make the frosting.
Beat the vegan buttery spread until fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder, then drizzle in a little of the non-dairy milk. Beat until smooth and creamy, adding more milk as needed.
Frost the cooled donuts. Enjoy!
How will you celebrate National Donut Day?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw. - July 17, 2017
- First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly). - July 12, 2017
- Pineapple Nice Cream (Dairy Free, Vegan). - July 5, 2017