A wonderful gift to make for your friends or family, curried lentil rice soup mix is gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly.
Anyone doing any last minute shopping? Or gift making?
It’s fun to make homemade gifts if you have the time, but since time is short at this point, a super easy homemade gift is probably in order. Something that you can quickly make, tie a bow on, and call it a day.
That’s where this curried lentil rice soup mix comes in.
It requires just a few ingredients, a Mason jar, some pretty ribbon, and a quick printing of the recipe. If you want to get fancier, you can package it all up with a couple of soup bowls and spoons. or crackers, or dish towels, or oven mitts. It’s up to you!
This curried lentil rice soup is vegan, gluten free, and top 8 allergen free. If you don’t like yellow split peas, you can use green lentils instead. You can also use another kind of rice if you prefer, or you can even substitute quinoa.
From time to time I like to link up with the Recipe Redux. This month’s Recipe Redux theme was, “Grab a Book and Cook.” The idea was to find a recipe to adapt in a cookbook on page 20, 16, 201, etc. I chose to modify a jarred soup recipe found in Holiday Delights (affiliate link). This allergy friendly version is different as it uses different spices, and when you prepare this soup, you’ll need to add a fresh onion and carrot, rather than the dried versions.
This soup is warming, hearty, and delicious. Even if you don’t have to make any last minute gifts, it’s a tasty meal to enjoy on a chilly winter’s day!
You can print out the instructions to attach to the jar HERE.
- ¾ cup red lentils
- ¾ cup yellow split peas
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons coconut cream, optional
- To make the jarred soup mix, layer the red lentils, yellow split peas, and the rice in a pint size Mason jar. Place the spices in a small ziploc bag, and put the bag on top of the rice in the jar. Put the lid on the jar, and decorate with ribbon or twine.
- Print or write out the following instructions to give along with the jarred mix:
- To Make Soup:
- Place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, two sliced carrots, and one small chopped onion into a large soup pot.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes. Remove the spice bag from the jar. Put the contents of the jar in a fine mesh sieve and pick over and rinse. Add to the soup pot, along with the spice packet, broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook until rice, lentils, and peas are tender, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 Tablespoons of coconut cream if desired before serving.