Rich and delicious chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are topped with colorful candy cane pieces. An easy gluten free and vegan treat!
Christmas is just a week away now, and you need easy recipes, right? Besides all the running around and cleaning and wrapping and cooking, you may want to do a little baking, too.
Let’s keep it simple with these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies.
Remember the Bohemian crescent cookies? With the powdered sugar coating?
These chocolate dipped shortbread cookies use the same dough. If you want to be clever, you can make a double batch of the dough and then make half into Bohemian crescents and half into these chocolate dipped cookies. You’ll fool everyone into thinking you were in the kitchen all day, making two super fancy recipes, when really you just made one easy recipe with a couple of variations.
Christmas trickery…don’t you love it?
And you could mix it up even more by dipping the chocolate covered cookies in more toppings. Coconut, crushed pumpkin seeds, sprinkles, or just leave the chocolate plain.
These chocolate covered shortbread cookies are easy, versatile, and a must-have addition to your cookie tray!
Not gluten free or vegan? It’s okay…just use your regular flour and butter. These will still be buttery, delicious, and melt in your mouth.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan buttery spread, gluten free flour blend, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until combined. Dough will be thick.
- Take one inch balls of dough and roll into logs. Flatten slightly with your hand. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet.
- Line a tray with waxed paper.
- Place the dairy free chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute, stir the chocolate, and if needed, microwave for 15 second intervals until melted.
- Unwrap the candy canes and put in a ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the candy canes.
- Once the cookies are cool. dip them in the melted chocolate, and then put the cookies on the prepared tray. (I held the cookies at an angle and dipped them that way, making sure that the top of one side was coated in chocolate. If you dip them straight down they may break off in the bowl of chocolate).
- Sprinkle candy cane pieces on top of the melted chocolate. Place the tray in the refrigerator so that the chocolate can firm up.
- Be gentle with these cookies as they are somewhat fragile.
These chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are:
- gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly
- perfect for giving as a gift
- delicious for an easy Christmas dessert