There’s nothing like a stack of delicious egg free waffles to start your day! These cinnamon sugar waffles are light and fluffy, and perfect when topped with maple syrup!
So…our waffle iron broke recently. Which is understandable, seeing as it was at least 15 years old. :)
It didn’t completely break, but the last few times I used it, it was getting so hot even on the outside that I was afraid something was seriously wrong with it. The last thing I need is to start an electrical fire with a small appliance.
Once I knew it had to be replaced, then I was faced with a decision…did I want to make round waffles or rectangular waffles? This was a tough choice! ;) I eventually decided on rectangles, and I’m so happy with my new waffle iron.
We usually make either waffles or pancakes on the weekend, and this past weekend I decided I wanted to try a variation on my usual waffle recipe. I used a blend of whole spelt and white spelt flour, and I added more cinnamon and sugar to the batter. This recipe was a big hit with my family! These were gobbled up in no time.
Can you really make light and fluffy egg free waffles?
Yes, you can! If you’ve been avoiding waffles because you have an egg allergy or follow a vegan diet, I think you’ll be surprised at how delicious these egg free waffles are. The secret is a higher amount of baking powder, and a little bit of vinegar to replace the eggs. These two ingredients allow the batter to puff up nicely and makes a very tender waffle.
I used spelt flour, but you can use all-purpose flour if you prefer. I haven’t tried these with gluten free flour yet – let me know if you do!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cinnamon Sugar Egg Free Waffles.
These cinnamon sugar egg free waffles are light, fluffy, and delicious!
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread, water, vinegar, and oil. Let the batter rise for about five minutes.
- Spoon the batter into the preheated waffle iron. Cook according to your waffle iron's instructions. It takes about five minutes for my waffle iron, yours may be different.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with more vegan buttery spread, cinnamon sugar, and maple syrup.
These egg free waffles can be topped with:
- butter and maple syrup
- whipped coconut cream and berries
- ice cream and hot fudge for a dessert idea!