Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by American Greetings. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
A gluten free, allergy friendly, two layer smash cake is perfect for first birthday photos! This recipe is easy to make and delicious!
There are so many wonderful milestones in a child’s life. The first steps, the first haircut, the first cute little word that they speak. Each and every one of those moments is special.
One of the most memorable occasions is the first birthday. Oh, how we love to celebrate our little one’s first year of life! It’s a wonderful day, whether you choose to celebrate with a large party, or a small family gathering.
The first birthday feels so momentous. You’ve made it! You and your baby have made it through the sleepless nights, the teething, the baby-proofing, and all the other ups and downs of the first year. You’ve gotten to know this special little person, and have fallen in love with every sweet smile and giggle, with every hug and snuggle.
One way to remember the first birthday is with a special birthday card. I know that my children’s baby books are full of the heartfelt cards from family – these cards are beautiful reminders of how much they are loved.
It’s easy to find wonderful cards for a first birthday or any birthday when you take a few minutes to shop the card section at your local Target store. There are so many cute and colorful cards that are just right for kids. And if it’s an older child or adult you’re shopping for, Target has the perfect card for them, too.
It can be easy to forget to purchase a greeting card, but writing out your wishes and thoughts in a birthday card takes only a few minutes, but the sentiments last a lifetime, especially when those cards are saved in a baby book, and the child can look back on them years later.
Of course, another important detail of the first birthday party is the cake. A sweet little smash cake that your precious little one can play with and eat is the perfect photo opportunity during the birthday party.
This two layer birthday smash cake is gluten free and top 8 allergen free. If your little one has food allergies or intolerances (as so many children do, especially early in life), this is the cake to make! A sweet little smash cake is just right for a first birthday photo opportunity. If your preference is chocolate, try this cute small gluten free chocolate cake that’s also allergy friendly.
Don’t be intimidated by the prospect of making this pretty layered cake. I kept it super simple by using two five-inch round pans, and I decorated this cake with a #4B tip. I piped a swirl design on the sides, and just did simple stars on top. It’s a very easy design, but it will look cute in all the photos you’ll be taking on the big day.
It does make it easier to frost this birthday smash cake if you apply a thin layer of frosting (a crumb coat), then chill the cake for an hour or so before doing any piping.
And if you don’t have a first birthday to celebrate, but still want to make a mini layer cake for another occasion, you’ll love how this cake turns out! It’s the perfect size for a small gathering – this little cake serves six people.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly).
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 5-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper circles.
- Place the banana in a bowl and mash it thoroughly. Add the melted vegan buttery spread, sugar, and vanilla and stir well.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, vinegar, and water, and stir until combined. If the batter feels too thick, add a bit more water.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two round cake pans.
- Bake the cakes at 350 degrees for about 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes come out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 15 minutes before removing them from the pans and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cakes are fully cooled, make the frosting: Place the vegan buttery spread in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add a cup of the powdered sugar and a teaspoon or two of non-dairy milk.
- Mix on medium speed, alternating adding more sugar and more milk until the frosting is the consistency you desire.
- Place one layer on a cake stand and then spread frosting on the top, then stack the other layer on top. Spread a thin crumb coat all over the cake. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Fit a piping bag with a #4B tip. Spoon the frosting inside the bag and twist the top closed.
- 10. Pipe on the design you wish – for this cake, I did swirls on the sides and stars on top. Be creative and enjoy!
Have fun celebrating with this sweet little cake! And don’t forget to grab the perfect, thoughtful birthday card at Target so you can share your birthday wishes!
Check out the American Greetings Pinterest page for more greeting card inspiration!