An easy recipe for bean tortilla soup. Hearty beans in a flavorful broth make this vegan and gluten free soup perfect for lunch or dinner!
Sometimes you just need a super simple recipe for a hearty soup. On busy nights, it can be easy to fall back on takeout or less healthy options.
This bean tortilla soup is inexpensive, easy, and healthy. And it’s tasty and warming on a cold day. And it comes together so quickly! Once you get home from work, just throw everything in the pot and let it cook for a short time.
You’ll be sitting down to a tasty bowl of tortilla soup in no time!
Serve this vegan bean tortilla soup with:
- chips and salsa
- a green salad
- fresh guacamole
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Simple Bean Tortilla Soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons salsa verde
- 16 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- tortilla chips
- fresh cilantro
- Put the onion and olive oil in a soup pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Add the black beans, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, salsa verde, and broth. Stir. Add the spices and frozen corn, and raise the heat to high.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, and cook for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla chips and cilantro.
Adapted from Cheap. Fast. Good! by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross.
This recipe is easily adaptable as well. If you want to add chicken, go ahead. If you want more beans, add those, too. You can customize this tortilla soup to fit your needs. I love that it’s so quick to throw together, but it’s still a healthy and filling dinner.
Looking for more easy dinner recipes? Try this white bean quinoa chili recipe.