An easy dairy free meal, this vegan white bean quinoa chili is delicious and warming on a cold night. It’s full of healthy fiber and protein, and it’s perfect for kids and adults.
What do you make when you’re racing home at dinner time, and you know that your pantry and fridge is almost bare? Do you just order a pizza?
You don’t have to order in. You can make this super simple white bean quinoa chili – it’s hearty, healthy, and made from simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
This white bean quinoa chili is a great quick meal for a busy week night – it only takes about 20 minutes to make, and most of that is hands off time. Throw the ingredients together in a pot, bring to a boil, and then let it simmer until the quinoa is tender. This vegan meal couldn’t be any easier.
Now, if you want to round out your meal, you can definitely make some vegan corn muffins, or even some light and fluffy vegan breadsticks. Either of those would be a great side to serve alongside this tasty chili.
But this quinoa chili is just delicious on its own, or topped with some salsa, chopped avocado, or a little vegan cheese. A variety of spices pack this chili with a ton of flavor.
What spices go into homemade vegan chili?
This recipe uses onion powder, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. It’s somewhere between a mild and medium spice level. If you’d like to make this chili hotter, add more chili powder, or even some of your favorite hot sauce.
If you’ve never made a recipe with quinoa before, you might have some questions. Here are a few common questions about this ancient grain.
Is quinoa gluten free?
Yes, quinoa is a gluten free ancient grain. It’s a great substitute for couscous or rice.
It’s also a great choice for chili, because it’s high in fiber and protein, so it really fills you up. Quinoa is also a good source of magnesium and maganese. You can learn more about the nutritional value of quinoa here.
How do you prepare quinoa?
It’s very easy to prepare – but you do need to rinse the quinoa prior to cooking. Simply place the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse it under cold running water.
Quinoa has a coating on it called saponin, which has a bitter taste, and can cause indigestion. Rinsing it removes the saponin. Once you rinse the quinoa, you will add it to the pot of chili.
The quinoa will be cooked when you see the little edge of each grain loosen. Quinoa is a quick-cooking grain, and it should only take about 15 minutes or so to cook in this chili.
Some tips for making this vegan white bean quinoa chili:
- make sure you choose a green salsa that’s the right level of heat for you! Mild or medium is a good choice.
- rinse your beans well before adding to the pot
- adjust the spices according to your taste. This recipe is fairly mild as written.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan White Bean Quinoa Chili.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup mild salsa verde use medium if you want it hotter
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Put the olive oil and the onion in a soup pot and cook over medium heat.
- Add the drained beans, salsa verde, and spices. Stir.
- Add the quinoa and broth, and raise the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender.
- Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Serve topped with green onions, avocado, red peppers, tortilla chips, or any other favorite topping.
This post was originally published in December 2014. It has been updated with new photos and text.
Other quinoa recipes to try: