These shortbread cookies are spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and topped with a creamy vanilla frosting. These are a wintertime favorite! Try this simple gluten free recipe this weekend and enjoy a cup of tea and a few of these buttery cookies.
This is the perfect time of year to do a little baking. And with the cold weather, if you can incorporate warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, that’s even better!
Shortbread is always a nice addition to a cookie tray – it’s light, buttery, and rich. And thankfully, it’s pretty easy to make good shortbread cookies with allergy friendly ingredients!
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – Namaste Perfect Flour Blend works well for shortbread. If you have a different store bought gluten free flour blend that you prefer, that would probably be okay. Almond flour or coconut flour will not work well.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread works very well for shortbread cookies. You could also use the Baking Sticks if you prefer.
- Sugar – I used Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Cane Sugar for this recipe. You could also use regular granulated sugar. If you use a sugar like coconut sugar or date sugar the cookies will have a darker color and a different flavor.
These cookies are light and delicious, like typical shortbread cookies. You will love the buttery, rich texture.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cream the vegan buttery spread and the sugar in the mixer.
- Add the gluten free flour and the spices.
- Mix on medium speed until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough into balls and flatten each slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12 minutes.
- Mix up the dairy free frosting.
- Frost the cooled shortbread cookies, and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of you like.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 4-5 days.
You can also freeze the dough if you like. This is a great way to get a jump start on your holiday baking. Just roll the dough into balls, then place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spiced Shortbread Cookies with Frosting (Gluten Free, Vegan).
For the cookies:
- Put the buttery spread and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl, and beat until smooth.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, then mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of dough at a time. Roll the dough into balls, and place on the cookie sheets, leaving about 1.5 inches in between cookies.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently flatten each cookie.
- Repeat with remaining dough. You can probably fit about 12 cookies on a cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely before moving.
Make the frosting:
- Place the powdered sugar, the vegan buttery spread, vanilla, and water in a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed. If the frosting seems too thin, add a little more confectioner's sugar. If it's too thick, add a little more water.
- Once the frosting reaches your desired consistency, turn off the mixer.
- Frost the cooled shortbread cookies. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top of the frosted cookies if desired.