This spinach salad is filling and delicious – it’s topped with roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes, and a delicious cilantro vinaigrette. This hearty salad is perfect for a tasty lunch or dinner. Serve with vegan garlic knots or homemade breadsticks for a complete meal.
This spinach salad with roasted sweet potatoes is a great place to start. It’s really filling, due to the roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes, and it’s also really flavorful, thanks to the cilantro vinaigrette. I can see myself eating this pretty much every day this week. It’s that good.
You do have to plan ahead just a little bit, because the chickpeas and sweet potatoes need about 45 minutes to roast. So make sure you get those in the oven before you’re starving, otherwise you’ll be hangry while you’re waiting!
- Roasted Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes – These ingredients add delicious fiber and protein to the salad. You’ll need to stir the chickpeas and sweet potatoes every 15 minutes to make sure they get evenly roasted and don’t burn. Once they’re done cooking, taste test to see if they need more salt and pepper.
- Cilantro Dressing – I made the dressing in the blender, but you could even do it in a jar as long as you finely chop the cilantro and shake very well. I find that if I use the blender the dressing stays emulsified for longer. If you don’t like cilantro, you can use basil or fresh parsley.
- Spinach – I used baby spinach, but you could also use baby kale leaves if you prefer.
Step by Step Instructions
- Toss the chickpeas and sweet potatoes with olive oil and spices and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes, until the chickpeas and sweet potatoes are lightly browned on the edges.
- Place the ingredients for the cilantro dressing in a blender or mini food processor and blend until combined.
- Divide the spinach leaves among the bowls and top with roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and red peppers. Pour the dressing on top.
- add a variety of colored peppers to the salad
- add some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- try this salad with homemade dairy free ranch dressing
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spinach Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas.
Roast the chickpeas and sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chickpeas and sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on top, then stir well to coat everything evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Make the salad dressing:
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in the blender and blend on high until smooth and combined.
Assemble the salad:
- Divide the spinach between two bowls and top with roasted sweet potatoes, roasted chickpeas, and chopped red peppers.
- Pour the dressing over the salads. Enjoy!