This quick and easy spicy broccoli red pepper stir fry is a healthy dinner that’s gluten free and vegan!
I definitely ate too many Christmas cookies. And too much ham and roast and don’t forget about the biscuits and gravy on Christmas morning…yikes. (Although that is the one time of year we do biscuits and sausage and gravy, it’s our tradition).
Anyway, after all of that rich holiday food, I have been really craving veggies. I made this stir fry for lunch yesterday, so I thought I would share it, in case you, too, have eaten a bit too much rich food. Plus, one of my goals is to include more vegetarian meals in our diet this year.
This stir fry is really easy and quick to make, and the sauce is so simple, but really tasty. If you want it spicier, just add more red pepper flakes. Add more veggies or some chicken or beef or even tofu if you want some more protein. I really recommend slicing and chopping the veggies very small so that they cook quickly and are tender without being a mushy mess and losing all their nutrients.
Is soy sauce gluten free?
No, most soy sauce does contain gluten. You want to look for tamari sauce, which is gluten free, but still adds great flavor to your stir fry!
What can I use in place of soy sauce?
If you can’t have soy, try this recipe for soy-free soy sauce.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Sweet and Spicy Broccoli Red Pepper Stir Fry with Quinoa.
- Cook your quinoa according to package directions. I rinsed one cup, and placed it in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until done.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and red peppers, and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup, tamari sauce, and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Add the mushrooms and broccoli and cook until tender but not over done. The broccoli should be bright green.
- Serve over quinoa. Add more red pepper flakes or tamari as desired.
Do you have any goals for 2014? Do you do a weekly meal plan or just wing it at home?