A rich and decadent chocolate dessert, this vegan gluten free skillet brownie is the perfect way to celebrate a special day! Enjoy this brownie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle of hot fudge for an extra treat.
Don’t you love desserts that are super special, but extra easy to make? The kind of thing that can be made on a whim, without a lot of planning, but tastes SO good that everyone raves about it?
That’s what this vegan gluten free skillet brownie recipe is all about.
Rich, chocolatey, decadent brownie topped with dairy free ice cream or whipped cream and drizzled with more melted chocolate for good measure. The kind of dessert that’s normally served in a restaurant – but this version is even better, and it’s free of the top 8 allergens!
If you have a birthday coming up, or another occasion – Valentine’s Day is right around the corner – this is the perfect easy dessert to serve. This skillet brownie can be made in one bowl, baked in a cast iron skillet, and then topped with ice cream. Just scoop out individual portions, or hand your friends a spoon. It’s up to you!
Serving this in a cast iron skillet gives you that fun restaurant experience at home – which is nice if you avoid desserts at restaurants due to food allergies.
Beet puree adds some natural sweetness to vegan gluten free skillet brownie, but if you don’t like beets or would rather use something else, applesauce would also work.
If you prefer a more natural sugar, you can use coconut sugar in place of the organic cane sugar.
If you aren’t gluten free or dairy free, it’s okay to use regular all-purpose flour and dairy butter. This skillet brownie will still be delicious!
If this is a recipe that you want to use to make slice and serve brownies, you will want to fully cool and then refrigerate these before slicing so that they hold their shape.
For an extra decadent treat, try this vegan caramel sauce drizzled over the top. The dark chocolate brownie plus the caramel makes for a delicious combination.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Gluten Free Skillet Brownie.
A rich and decadent vegan gluten free skillet brownie is perfect when topped with vanilla ice cream!
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/3 cup vegan buttery spread
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend I used King Arthur Multi-Purpose Flour Blend
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons beet puree*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute, then stir. Microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Add the vegan buttery spread to the bowl, and stir until it melts into the hot chocolate chips.
- Add the cane sugar and beet puree, stir well. Add the cocoa powder, gluten free flour blend, and salt. Stir well - the batter will be thick.
- Spread into an 8-inch cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the 2 Tablespoons of dairy free dark chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve with dairy free ice cream. You can also melt more chocolate chips and drizzle on top if desired.
*To make beet puree: Peel and dice one beet. Place in a pan with enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beets are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Let cool, then put the beet pieces plus a little of the liquid in a blender and puree until smooth.
To make this