Nothing says summertime like sweet peaches cooked with brown sugar and butter, then topped with vanilla ice cream. This is the simplest summer dessert, but it’s always a favorite!
One of my very favorite things about summer is all the delicious produce that’s in season. Finally, after many long winter months, we can get our hands on super sweet strawberries, ripe watermelon, and juicy, delicious peaches.
Peaches are not in season here in Michigan for too long, so when I see them at the Farmer’s Market, I stock up! I think the best peaches are the Red Haven variety, which is native to Michigan. But you can use any variety of peach that you like in this easy dessert.
But if you’re really short on time, these sauteed peaches are the way to go! If you have a helper who can help you cut the fruit up, this dessert really comes together quickly.
To make this dessert, you will need:
- fresh peaches
- brown sugar
- vegan buttery spread
If you can eat dairy, feel free to use regular butter. I used Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread, but if you have a different brand of vegan butter that works for you, feel free to use that instead.
If peaches are not in season, you can use frozen peaches, but I do recommend using fresh fruit as I think it has the best flavor and texture in this recipe.
How to make sauteed peaches:
- Wash the fruit and remove the pits.
- Cut the peaches into small pieces.
- Place the fruit in a frying pan and add the vegan buttery spread and brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until the peaches release their juices. Serve over vanilla ice cream.
Ideas for variations on this recipe:
- use nectarines instead of peaches
- add blueberries or strawberries
- top with buttery coconut granola
You can use any ice cream or topping that works for your dietary needs. Try coconut milk ice cream, soy milk ice cream, So Delicious Coco Whip Topping, or any ice cream that suits you!
This peach topping is best enjoyed immediately, but if you need to keep it, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Sauteed Peaches and Ice Cream.
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 large peaches pitted and each cut into small chunks
- 2 cups non-dairy ice cream optional
- Place the diced peaches in a frying pan, and add the vegan buttery spread and brown sugar.
- Cook overn medium heat, and stir until sugar has dissolved and peaches are warmed through and coated, about 5 minutes.
- Set the peaches aside to cool for a few minutes. Spoon your favorite vanilla ice cream into bowls. Top with warm peaches.
This post was originally published in September 2013. It has been updated.