This soft batch vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe was a happy accident.
I was making chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, and since my son doesn’t like oats in his cookies, I made the first batch without them. When I taste tested that first batch, surprise! They tasted very similar to Keebler Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies, one of my favorite cookies from when I was growing up.
I loved all of those Keebler cookies, and they made frequent appearances in my lunchbox…Soft Batch, Pecan Sandies, and of course E.L. Fudge Sandwich Cookies. Now the thought of those processed cookies makes my teeth hurt and my stomach turn, but they were so yummy when I was little.
Anyway, it was a nice surprise to taste that Soft Batch flavor again and this time know exactly what I was eating! This vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe is quick and easy, and even if you aren’t vegan, it’s nice to have a cookie recipe that doesn’t rely on eggs in case you’re out of them.
I think the key to the “Keebler” flavor is the dark brown sugar and the maple syrup, two ingredients that add a richer taste.
Soft Batch Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.
Chewy soft batch vegan chocolate chip cookies made without dairy and eggs.
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour you could use all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips I use the Enjoy Life brand
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat buttery spread and sugars until fluffy. Add in your maple syrup and flax eggs and beat.
- I like to use just one bowl, so at this point, add your flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Check them at 8 minutes, you don’t want to over bake. In my oven, 10 minutes was perfect.
Make sure you don’t overbake these – you want them to stay soft and chewy!
This vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe is:
- easy and perfect for beginner bakers
- delicious for a bake sale
- perfect for packing in school lunches!
What was your favorite childhood cookie?