This post is part of my series, “31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Comfort Food.”
Pepperoni pizza was first, now peanut butter cookies…we are on a P theme here…what should be next? Potatoes? Pie?
Cookies are a total comfort food for me.
I definitely remember my mom’s peanut butter cookies growing up…they were so delicious, and she did the crisscross thing on top with the fork, just like I’ve done here. I do have a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe that I love, and I did adapt that one to be egg free as well, but I was missing the sweeter, more tender cookie that you get when you use flour along with peanut butter. So I tried my hand at making a classic peanut butter cookie recipe that was gluten, dairy, and egg free, and I was soooo happy that they turned out really well! Darryl says they are the best peanut butter cookies he’s ever had.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread, softened
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 1¼ cups gluten free flour blend
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix sugar, peanut butter, applesauce, oil and maple syrup in large bowl. Stir in all other ingredients. Cover with saran wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until firm. (This is important! With this gluten free dough, you need the full 2 hours to chill).
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped into sugar.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for ten minutes – they will break if you try to move them too soon. (Of course if they break, you have a good excuse to gobble up the broken pieces!) Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
These are really good with a glass of almond milk. Or tea, or hot chocolate. Or plain…you really can’t go wrong here. :)
Anyone else ready for a mid-week cookie break?
Have you entered my reader appreciation giveaway?