An easy and delicious recipe for gluten free and vegan chocolate cake. Perfect for a party or any day!
It’s Friday, and it’s the day before Darryl and my eleventh anniversary! And we are nearing the end of my 31 Days of Comfort Food!
So right there you have three very good reasons to bake a cake. :)
Am I the only one who gets an urge to bake a chocolate cake on a pretty regular basis?
My older son regularly requests this one, and it is so easy to throw together. I just mix it up and pop it in the oven, and 32 minutes later we have a fresh baked vegan chocolate cake ready to go. It can’t get any easier than that.
Since there are just so many reasons to make a cake, I think it’s a pretty good idea to have a simple, fool-proof recipe at the ready! That way you’ll never be without cake. :)
Don’t be afraid of this cake, non-vegan friends. The vinegar and the baking soda combine so nicely to give it a nice lift, you would never guess that this cake does not contain eggs. It is really, really marvelous. I was so happy once I realized that it was possible to bake a good chocolate cake without eggs or gluten.
And if don’t need to be gluten free, go right ahead and use all-purpose flour! It works very well in this recipe – the cake will be a little lighter and less dense. Whatever flour you choose to use, I know that this vegan chocolate cake will be a big hit.
- 1½ cups gluten free flour blend (regular flour works in this recipe, if you are not GF)
- 1 cups organic cane sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- ¾ cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. (This step is important, especially with gluten free flour. Otherwise you’ll have lumps!)
- Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together by hand, don’t overmix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into an 8 inch square Pyrex dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 32 minutes.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar once cool.
You can use this to make cupcakes - reduce the baking time to about 13-15 minutes. Makes about 12 cupcakes.
adapted slightly from All Recipes.
This gluten free and vegan chocolate cake is:
- light and fluffy
- perfect for a party
- delicious with frosting or without