This extra creamy vegan chocolate ice cream is made with just five ingredients! Enjoy a scoop of rich, smooth, ice cream when it’s hot outside. This recipe is simple to make and yields great results!
Homemade ice cream is such a treat, isn’t it?
I really didn’t have a need to make ice cream from scratch until we had food allergies to deal with. Ice cream can have so many different allergens and cross contamination issues that it can be hard to feel safe eating a store bought brand.
If you have food allergies, you may prefer to make your own dairy free and vegan frozen desserts. With full fat coconut milk in a can, it’s so easy to make wonderfully creamy and rich ice cream.
Thank goodness it’s pretty easy to make ice cream at home whenever you feel like it! We have a Cuisinart ice cream maker, and once the warm weather hits, we love to use it.
One of the first recipes I came up with once we bought an ice cream maker was this easy chocolate ice cream.
This recipe is SO simple – just five ingredients, and there’s no heating or cooling of the ingredients. It’s so easy – just mix it up, pour it in the ice cream maker, and you’ll have extra creamy vegan chocolate ice cream about 20 minutes later!
- Coconut Milk – Using full fat coconut milk is a great way to make smooth, creamy dairy free ice cream. Make sure you buy unsweetened full fat coconut milk (the kind that comes in a can). Canned coconut cream would also work well.
- Maple Syrup – I like using maple syrup to sweeten this recipe, but you could also use honey or even agave syrup if you prefer.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I like Hershey’s Cocoa Powder, but feel free to use any brand that works for your dietary needs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Open the cans of coconut milk, and use a spoon to gently scoop out the thick coconut cream. You will need to discard the coconut water.
- Put the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt in a bowl. Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until it’s smooth.
- Pour the ingredients into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, scoop into bowls or cones and enjoy!
I have the Cuisinart countertop ice cream maker, and I love it. I store the bowl in the freezer, and it’s ready to go whenever I want to make ice cream. It’s also a really nice size – I can keep it out on the counter without it taking up too much space.
If your ice cream maker is different, the amount of time required to make the ice cream may vary. Please follow the directions for your particular machine.
If you’ve never made coconut milk ice cream before, it’s good to note that it’s best eaten immediately after you make it. If you do decide to store this homemade vegan ice cream in the freezer, you will need to thaw it out for about 30 minutes before it’s ready to scoop.
I haven’t tried any other type of non-dairy milk in this recipe. I don’t think it would work as well to use rice milk or oat milk – I think the consistency would be more icy rather than creamy. Coconut milk has a high fat content, making it perfect for homemade ice cream.
I don’t think so. I believe that the churning of an electric ice cream maker is key to having this recipe turn out well.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Five Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream.
- Drain off any excess water from the canned coconut milk. (You could also use coconut cream if you prefer. If you use coconut cream, you will need about 20 ounces).
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
- Pour the ingredients into the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Enjoy immediately! If you plan to store it in the freezer, it will become quite hard. You will need to thaw it for about 30 minutes before serving.