It’s October, and that is the official start of apple dessert season in my mind. Apple pie, apple bread, and of course apple crisp. I made an apple crisp this week, and it was gobbled up pretty quickly, so I thought I’d share my recipe here today!
Gluten Free and Vegan Apple Crisp.
- for filling:
- 6 apples peeled and sliced – I used Fuji this time
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- for topping:
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup gluten free oats
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread or normal butter if you are not DF, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients, then place your fruit in a 9×13 glass baking dish. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir. Add your buttery spread and cut in with a pastry blender until combined (it will be lumpy with little balls of butter). Spread the crumb topping over the fruit.
Place in oven uncovered, and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm, plain or with vanilla ice cream. We topped it with coconut milk vanilla ice cream this time, but we also love it with almond milk ice cream.
Once again, I ate this for breakfast the next day! I have a problem with pies and crisps and crumbles and thinking that they’re breakfast foods! Here’s how it goes with leftovers in our house: In Kelly’s head: Does it have fruit? Is it a pie or crisp? I’ll warm it up and it’s breakfast! In Darryl’s head: Is it leftover anything? Great! It can be breakfast! No need to warm it up. :)
What apple desserts are you looking forward to this fall?
This post is part of my series, “31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Comfort Food.”
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simple Macaroni Salad Recipe Without Mayo. - June 22, 2017
- Chocolate Sunbutter Cup Ice Cream Bars. - June 19, 2017
- Chicken Meatballs with Zoodles (Gluten and Egg Free). - June 12, 2017