A sweet and delicious oat crumble tops thinly sliced apples to make the very best gluten free vegan apple crisp. You will love this homemade dessert with a scoop of dairy free ice cream or homemade whipped coconut cream.
When I’m in the mood for a classic, cozy dessert, apple crisp is the recipe I turn to again and again.
Is there anything better than cinnamon apples topped with a crispy, sugary topping? And when it’s topped with dairy free ice cream? It’s such a wonderful, classic dessert for fall or winter.
Gluten free apple pie is also so delicious, of course, but I find that pie takes up more time! There’s the rolling, the chilling, the assembling, the longer baking time…it’s just a lot.
If you want to have a homey dessert on the table quickly, this gluten free vegan apple crisp is the way to go.
This recipe is one that I’ve tinkered with over the years, and this is the version that we enjoy the most. Every bite has perfectly baked apples and crispy, crunchy oat crumble.
If you love the sugary oat topping on this apple crisp, you may want to try these gluten free cinnamon streusel donuts. They make a delicious fall breakfast!
- Apples – I like Granny Smith apples, because they have such a nice tartness, but Honeycrisp apples are also a good choice. If you use a sweeter apple, like Fuji, you will want to cut down on the sugar in this recipe.
- Certified Gluten Free Oats – Oats are naturally gluten free. However, if you can’t have gluten, you need to make sure that the oats you buy are Certified Gluten Free oats. Oats can be cross contaminated with wheat, and if you are concerned about that, you definitely need to purchase certified gluten free oats. Try the GF Harvest brand, which can be found on Amazon.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We like Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread – it has a nice flavor and is easy to find in most stores. If you have a different brand you prefer, that would probably be fine.
- Sugar – I used organic cane sugar for the topping, but you could use regular granulated sugar or light brown sugar if you like. Either of those would be fine.
Tips for Success
- The secret to making a delicious apple crisp is to slice the apples very thin. I find that they bake quickly and evenly if they are thinly sliced. This is true for pie, too! If you want the texture of the apple pie filling to be perfect, slice those apples super thin.
- Make sure to really incorporate the vegan buttery spread with the oats and sugar. A pastry blender is a helpful too for this task, or you could use a couple of butter knives instead.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crisp.
For the apples:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples, and place them in a large bowl. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon, and toss together. Place the fruit in a baking dish that is about 8×12 inches.
- Combine the oats and sugar in a bowl. Add the buttery spread and cut in with a pastry blender until combined (it will be lumpy with little balls of butter). Spread the crumb topping over the fruit.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm with dairy free ice cream or whipped coconut cream. Or enjoy this dessert plain – it's delicious even without any extra topping.
This post is part of my series, “31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Comfort Food.”