Warm apples and a crunchy oat topping make this gluten free and vegan apple crisp and must-make dessert for autumn!
It’s October, and that is the official start of apple dessert season in my mind. Apple pie, apple bread, caramel apples, and of course vegan apple crisp.
Is there anything better than cinnamon apples topped with a crispy, sugary topping? And when it’s topped with dairy free ice cream? Such a wonderful, classic fall dessert.
I made a vegan apple crisp this week, and it was gobbled up pretty quickly, so I thought I’d share my recipe here today!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free and Vegan Apple Crisp.
For the apples:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients, then place your fruit in a 9×13 glass baking dish. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir. Add your buttery spread and cut in with a pastry blender until combined (it will be lumpy with little balls of butter). Spread the crumb topping over the fruit.
- Place in oven uncovered, and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm, plain or with vanilla ice cream. We topped it with coconut milk vanilla ice cream this time, but we also love it with almond milk ice cream.
This gluten free and vegan apple crisp recipe is:
- just right for a Thanksgiving dessert
- perfect with some whipped coconut cream or ice cream
- a great way to use up those fall apples
Once again, I ate this for breakfast the next day. I have a problem with pies and crisps and crumbles and thinking that they’re breakfast foods. :) Here’s how it goes with leftovers in our house:
In Kelly’s head: Does it have fruit? Is it a pie or crisp? I’ll warm it up and it’s breakfast!
In Darryl’s head: Is it leftover anything? Great! It can be breakfast! No need to warm it up. :)
What apple desserts are you looking forward to this fall?
This post is part of my series, “31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Comfort Food.”