Poppy seed crackers are just perfect with a creamy chive dip! Easy gluten free recipe.
It’s the 21st of the month! Time for another Recipe Redux theme recipe. I was surprised to see that this month’s theme was edible flowers. I don’t know why that surprised me, I guess because I don’t usually think about eating flowers. There are quite a few varieties that are edible, and I spent a few minutes reading about them here.
I wanted to do stuffed squash blossoms, because we have made those before and they are so delicious, but those won’t be available around here for several more weeks. I was stumped for a while, but in the end, I’m a busy mom who had a crazy week, and I went with two ingredients that are common and easy to find around here: chives, and poppy seeds. Both of these flowers can grow in Michigan, (we’ve had both in our garden in past years) and although the petals of the poppy are not edible, the seeds are, so that counts, right? It would be fun someday to be a little more adventurous with some lavender or some rose-water, but not today I guess! :)
I’m always making snacks, and one of my favorite things to make is a big batch of gluten free crackers. It is so very easy to make your own crackers, and it’s really inexpensive, too. I decided to just add some poppy seeds to them this time, and they were a big hit!
The spread is really simple as well…just blend the ingredients together in a blender or a food processor. If you can eat dairy, this dip will be delicious with dairy butter and cream cheese, too. It’s not just for vegans. :)
- For the crackers:
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 Tablespoon vegan buttery spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more for top
- For the spread:
- ½ cup Daiya brand vegan cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread, softened
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, salt, and poppy seeds. Add the water, oil, and melted vegan buttery spread. Stir to combine. If needed, add a little more water. The dough will come together into a ball. Divide into two balls.
- Place one dough ball on a piece of parchment paper and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Roll with a rolling pin until the dough is very thin. Remove the top sheet of parchment, and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet.
- Slice the dough into squares, but do not separate. Brush with a bit of water, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Repeat with the other ball of dough.
- Place the cookie sheets in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheets halfway through. Keep an eye on the crackers so they don't burn. They will be lightly golden and crisp when done.
- To make the spread:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until combined.
- Put dip in a bowl and refrigerate for an hour or so to enhance the flavor.
Oh, before I forget…I have a fun theme planned for next week! Since it’s the first week of summer, we’re going to talk popsicles all week long. I have some of my favorite bloggers sharing their popsicle recipes, too. I can’t wait!
Be sure to check out the other edible flower recipes below!