Chocolate covered coconut bars are an easy candy treat that’s gluten free and vegan!
Hello there! I have a sweet treat for you today, but you’ll have to taste it for me, because I can’t taste much at all due to a horrible cold. Everyone in my house has it, and it’s a big bummer! I’m not a fan of summer colds. I’m eating tons of vitamin C rich fruit, hot broth, and also lots of raw garlic – bonus, no vampires at our house! ;)
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is Bars and Bites, especially since school is starting up again soon, and a cute little bar or bite fits inside a lunchbox very nicely! I thought I’d do a healthier take on a candy bar since I’ve done a couple different granola type bars recently here and here. I love chocolate and coconut together, and at Halloween time I used to LOVE the little mini Mounds and Almond Joy bars. So good! These chocolate coconut bars are super easy to make – you just need four ingredients! Easy and delicious, and no scary preservatives.
These bars have a firmer texture than the original candy bar version. It’s best to store them in the refrigerator and pull them out a little bit before you want to serve them.
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- For the topping:
- ¾ cups dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- Line a loaf pan with waxed paper, and grease with a little bit of coconut oil.
- In a sauce pan, combine the coconut oil and the sugar. Heat over medium low heat until melted and combined.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Press the mixture into the loaf pan and press down firmly with a piece of waxed paper so the coconut is very flat and tightly packed. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave for 10 second intervals if needed until fully melted. Stir in the ½ teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Spread the chocolate over the chilled coconut bar mixture. Refrigerate again until fully cooled.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving. Slice into bars of desired size.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to check out all the other delectable bites and bars below!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016