Chocolate covered coconut bars are an easy candy treat that’s gluten free and vegan! You will love this rich and decadent chocolatey dessert.
Taking a trip down the candy aisle can be a frustrating situation for someone with food allergies. There are so many candies that contain dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy…you name it. Candy is loaded with allergens.
Thankfully, there are allergy friendly brands of candy now, like PASCHA Chocolate, or Enjoy Life. But you can also make your own homemade chocolate candy, which I think is even more delicious.
These chocolate covered coconut bars are so super rich and decadent – I think you will love them even more than traditional versions like mounds bars or almond joy.
It’s so simple to make these! Just a few minutes of active time, and then time chilling in the refrigerator so that they firm up.
How do you make chocolate covered coconut bars?
- Heat the coconut oil and sugar in a small saucepan and stir until melted.
- Add the coconut flakes and stir. Pour into a loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper.
- Pat the coconut down firmly and then put the pan in the refrigerator to chill.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil, and pour over the coconut layer.
- Refrigerate again until firm – about one hour.
These bars have a firmer texture than the original candy bar version. It’s best to store them in the refrigerator and pull them out a little bit before you want to serve them.
I used sugar in this recipe, but you can also use maple syrup if you wish. The coconut layer will be a little bit stickier if you choose to use a liquid sweetener.
To slice these bars, pull the parchment paper up and out to release the bars from the pan. Place on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to slice.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars.
An easy candy to make at home - chocolate covered coconut bars.
Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with waxed paper, and grease with a little bit of coconut oil.
- In a sauce pan, combine the coconut oil and the sugar. Heat over medium low heat until melted and combined.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Press the mixture into the loaf pan and press down firmly with a piece of waxed paper so the coconut is very flat and tightly packed. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave for 10 second intervals if needed until fully melted. Stir in the 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Spread the chocolate over the chilled coconut bar mixture. Refrigerate again until fully cooled.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving. Slice into bars of desired size.
Store bars in the refrigerator.
Nutrition facts are for 1/16 of this recipe. So I sliced the slab of candy into 8 long slices, and then you can cut each slice in half. They are very rich.
This post was originally published in August 2014. It has been updated.