Chocolate covered coconut bars are an easy candy treat that’s gluten free and vegan!
Hello there! I have a sweet treat for you today, but you’ll have to taste it for me, because I can’t taste much at all due to a horrible cold. Everyone in my house has it, and it’s a big bummer! I’m not a fan of summer colds. I’m eating tons of vitamin C rich fruit, hot broth, and also lots of raw garlic – bonus, no vampires at our house! ;)
I thought I’d share a healthier take on a candy bar since I’ve done a couple different granola type bars recently here and here. I love chocolate and coconut together, and at Halloween time I used to LOVE the little mini Mounds and Almond Joy bars. So good! These chocolate covered coconut bars are super easy to make – you just need four ingredients! Easy and delicious, and no scary preservatives.
These bars have a firmer texture than the original candy bar version. It’s best to store them in the refrigerator and pull them out a little bit before you want to serve them.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars.
For the topping:
- 3/4 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Line a loaf pan with waxed paper, and grease with a little bit of coconut oil.
- In a sauce pan, combine the coconut oil and the sugar. Heat over medium low heat until melted and combined.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Press the mixture into the loaf pan and press down firmly with a piece of waxed paper so the coconut is very flat and tightly packed. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave for 10 second intervals if needed until fully melted. Stir in the 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Spread the chocolate over the chilled coconut bar mixture. Refrigerate again until fully cooled.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving. Slice into bars of desired size.