Do you need a last minute appetizer for a holiday party? I have a super easy one for you to whip up!
Red lentils are so awesome because they cook up SO quickly. If you are making soup and need a protein boost, just throw some in, and they will cook right up as the soup cooks. They are also great because they get quite soft, and don’t have much of a skin, so you can just mash them up and they become really creamy.
For this dip, I just added my favorite Indian spices, mashed it up with a fork, and served it with my homemade crackers. It was a big hit! Make sure to double the recipe if you are having a bigger party.
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- crackers for serving
- Place the red lentils and enough water to cover them by one inch in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- If there is any excess water left, drain off.
- Mash the lentils with a fork (they should be very soft already).
- Add the spices, and stir.
- Serve dip warm with crackers.
I love being able to have appetizers that are naturally gluten free and vegan, but that I know everyone will enjoy, regardless of their dietary preferences. This dip is really filling, and the spiciness is nice and warming, especially in this cold weather!
Crackers were nice for dipping, but you could also serve it with pita bread, pita chips, or even veggies.
I hope you all have a wonderful, merry Christmas. I’ll be back after Christmas will more recipes to share!