This curried red lentil dip is dairy free and vegan, and so tasty for a last minute appetizer! You can serve this flavorful dip with gluten free oat crackers, chips, or veggies. It’s tasty, filling, and perfect for a party.
Do you need a last minute appetizer for a party? I have a super easy one for you to whip up – this curried red lentil dip.
Red lentils are so awesome because they cook up SO quickly. If you’re making soup and need a protein boost, just throw some in, and they will cook right up as the soup cooks. They are also great because they get quite soft, and don’t have much of a skin, so you can just mash them up and they become really creamy.
This hearty dip is made with red lentils and flavorful spices like curry powder, garam masala, and cumin. It was a big hit at our house! Make sure to double the recipe if you are having a bigger party.
I love being able to have appetizers that are naturally gluten free and vegan, but that I know everyone will enjoy, regardless of their dietary preferences. This lentil dip is really filling and flavorful, and I think you’ll love it.
- Lentils – I used red lentils because they cook so quickly and have a mild flavor. It’s possible to make a lentil dip with green lentils, but you will have to cook them for a longer amount of time.
- Spices – I used flavorful spices like curry powder, cumin, onion powder, and garam masala. These gave the dip a nice flavor without being too spicy. Feel free to substitute different spices if you like.
Step by Step Instructions
- Pick over the red lentils and rinse well using a fine mesh sieve.
- Place the red lentils in a pan and add enough water to cover them by one inch.
- Cook the lentils for 15-20 minutes until the are very soft. Remove any excess water.
- Add the spices and stir. Then use an immersion blender to blend the dip. You could also just mash the dip well with a fork.
- Serve with chips, crackers, or veggies.
This dip is delicious with my homemade crackers, but you could also serve it with pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips, or even veggies like carrot sticks or sliced bell peppers.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Curried Red Lentil Dip.
- Place the red lentils in a sauce pan with enough water to cover them by one inch.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- If there is any excess water left, drain it off.
- Add the spices, and stir.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the dip until it's fairly smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you could also mash the lentils with a fork.
- Serve dip warm with crackers, chips, or veggies.