Here we are, a week into 2015. Did you make any resolutions? Have you kept up with them so far?
I actually did make a few this year. Normally I don’t bother, because it seems like I just forget about them after a couple of weeks. But this year I’m really feeling the need to make some changes. My two big ones are:
1. Move more – it’s freezing here in the winter, and I tend to just want to hide under a blanket and drink tea or cocoa. Not great, since I don’t want to gain 10 pounds.
2. Drink more smoothies. I like to drink smoothies, but sometimes I just grab some toast instead, which leaves me hungry an hour later.
So far, I’ve been keeping up with these resolutions pretty well! I have a third, frivolous resolution, too…watch all the Harry Potter movies again. Who knows when that will happen. Darryl and I rarely have time to sit down and watch a whole movie, so it will probably happen in 30 minute increments here and there. :)
Anyway, back to the smoothies. This is my current favorite smoothie recipe. It’s such a pretty and vibrant color, and it really brightens up grey winter mornings. Berries and pineapple provide lots of fiber and antioxidants, and the mango is high in Vitamins A and C, and is great for your immune system. (We all need strong immune systems right now, don’t we? The flu is running rampant here in Michigan right now. I add chia seeds for extra calcium and iron. I also use calcium fortified orange juice, but you could use water or cranberry juice if you prefer.
- ¾ cup frozen raspberries
- ¾ cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ¾ cup calcium fortified orange juice
- 1½ Tablespoons chia seeds
- Place the frozen fruits in the blender and let them thaw for about 10 minutes.
- Add the juice and chia seeds and blend on high until smooth.
The other thing that makes me look forward to my smoothie is my glass straw from Strawesome. I don’t know why, but I just really like having my pink glass smoothie straw to drink out of. Silly, right?
Did you make any resolutions? What’s your favorite kind of smoothie?