Good Morning! Are you wondering what to eat for lunch today? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
Yum! A bowl of cheesy broccoli rice. Doesn’t that sound so good right now? And it’s so easy to make, and it’s super comforting on a freezing cold day.
This dish has a special place in my heart because when I was in college I would often make these little packets of cheesy broccoli rice for a quick dinner. Maybe not the healthiest, but I felt it was better than boxed macaroni and cheese, because…broccoli. Even though it was tiny little freeze-dried pieces, it was in there! ;)
You can make this with any type of rice. This time I made it with short grain brown rice, and it does take longer to cook. If you are in a hurry, you might want to go with regular white or brown rice. Of course I made it with dairy free cheddar cheese, but if you are not on a dairy free diet, use normal cheddar cheese.
- 1½ cups rice of your choice
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
- florets from three broccoli crowns, chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup dairy free milk of your choice
- 1¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the rice of your choice according to package directions.
- When the rice is almost done, steam the broccoli for just a few minutes until it is tender but still bright green.
- Add the buttery spread, cheese, and milk to the rice. Sprinkle the gluten free flour on top. Stir until cheese is melted and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Add the broccoli and salt and pepper. Stir. Serve immediately.
There! A healthier version of my college comfort food.
What quick meals did you eat when you were in college?