Good Morning! Are you wondering what to eat for lunch today? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
Yum! A bowl of cheesy broccoli rice. Doesn’t that sound so good right now? And it’s so easy to make, and it’s super comforting on a freezing cold day.
This dish has a special place in my heart because when I was in college I would often make these little packets of cheesy broccoli rice for a quick dinner. Maybe not the healthiest, but I felt it was better than boxed macaroni and cheese, because…broccoli. Even though it was tiny little freeze-dried pieces, it was in there! ;)
You can make this with any type of rice. This time I made it with short grain brown rice, and it does take longer to cook. If you are in a hurry, you might want to go with regular white or brown rice. Of course I made it with dairy free cheddar cheese, but if you are not on a dairy free diet, use normal cheddar cheese.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice.
- 1 1/2 cups rice of your choice
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
- florets from three broccoli crowns chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of your choice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
Cook the rice of your choice according to package directions.
When the rice is almost done, steam the broccoli for just a few minutes until it is tender but still bright green.
Add the buttery spread, cheese, and milk to the rice. Sprinkle the gluten free flour on top. Stir until cheese is melted and the sauce is thick and creamy.
Add the broccoli and salt and pepper. Stir. Serve immediately.
There! A healthier version of my college comfort food.
What quick meals did you eat when you were in college?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Easter Eggs. - April 5, 2017
- Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake (Gluten Free and Vegan). - March 30, 2017