Good morning! Granola, anyone?
I actually had a different recipe to share today, but then I made this granola yesterday and it was so good, I just couldn’t wait to share it with you!
The other day I was thinking about this cereal I used to buy – it was a banana nut granola and it was delicious. I stopped eating it because it contained wheat and dairy. Looking at the label now, I see that it contains a lot of extra sugar – sugar is listed on the label three times, in addition to honey! I loved how that granola tasted though, and I wondered if I could make something similar that used less ingredients and was allergy free.
And the answer is…yes! I did make something that was very similar in taste, but with less ingredients, less sugar, and none of the top allergens. This banana coconut granola reminds me of a banana muffin, but in cereal form.
The key to the awesome banana flavor is using an over ripe banana that you have stored in your freezer. (Do you store your brown bananas in the freezer so that you always have some on hand for banana bread?) Once you thaw the banana, it will be super mushy and juicy and sweet. That over ripe sweetness is really important to the flavor of this granola. Could you use a less ripe banana? Probably, but I don’t know if the flavor will be the same.
You can use coconut oil in place of the soy free vegan buttery spread, but it will have a stronger coconut flavor. If you are able to eat nuts, you can definitely add them to this recipe. Just mix them in with all the other dry ingredients and bake as directed.
- ¼ cup soy free vegan buttery spread OR coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup super ripe banana (I used one that had been frozen. Once it was thawed it was very juicy).
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- couple pinches salt
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the wet ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the gluten free oats, unsweetened coconut flakes, gluten free flour blend, and salt. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread granola on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown. Stir the granola every 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
And that was the extent of my weekend baking! I had a super crazy weekend with several gigs, so I didn’t get to spend much time in the kitchen.
What did you make this weekend?