My recent discovery: I can’t stop making quinoa salads.
They are just so easy to make, and you can add anything at all to them and they pretty much taste amazing! I tend to make them when I have no idea what else to make for lunch. Quinoa is great because it has a lot of iron, protein, and fiber, plus it’s gluten free! Perfect.
This salad is very easy to throw together for a summer barbecue or picnic. The crunchy broccoli and sweet cranberries are a nice contrast, and the curried dressing ties all the flavors together very well. If you are making this ahead of time, I would recommend storing the dressing in a jar and mixing it into the salad just before serving. If you do it too early, the quinoa will absorb a lot of the dressing (just like pasta salad).
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2½ cups chopped broccoli
- half of an onion, diced
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoons organic cane sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Once the quinoa is cool, place it in a large bowl and add the chopped broccoli, onion, and dried cranberries. Toss together.
- Put all of the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a lid. Shake well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to coat.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
If you want a little more crunch, and can eat nuts, some slivered almonds would be a nice addition to this salad as well!
What recipe can’t you stop making these days?