This spiced lentil quinoa salad with pepitas is an easy summer dish that’s sure to fill you up. This light and tasty salad is gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly. Serve this at your next barbecue – it’s certain to become a favorite!
Lentils are a pantry staple that happens to be a very flexible ingredients. You can make so many delicious things with lentils!
Whether it’s lentils and rice, vegan taco salad, or a comforting vegan shepherd’s pie, lentils are a great addition to a vegan diet. They’re full of protein and fiber, and quicker to make than dried beans.
I love the addition of lentils to this quinoa salad. The combination of lentils, quinoa, tomatoes, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and an easy dressing is just right.
This is the perfect salad to make in advance and take to work throughout the week.
The cherry tomatoes are a fresh addition to this salad. If you don’t have tomatoes, you can add chopped peppers, cucumbers, or even red onion.
- You can use rice instead of quinoa.
- Try red peppers, cucumbers, or red onion instead of tomatoes.
- Use lemon juice instead of vinegar in the dressing.
You can make a batch of this and pack it in lunches throughout the week. Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
You may want to keep the dressing separately, as the quinoa will soak up the dressing and the salad may get dry.
More quinoa recipes
- Sausage and Peppers with Curry Quinoa
- Quinoa Porridge with Mixed Berries
- Vegan White Bean Quinoa Chili
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spiced Lentil Quinoa Salad with Pepitas.
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with two cups water and a teaspoon of olive oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Put the lentils in a saucepan with enough water to cover by about one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, until lentils are tender but have not lost their shape. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, lentils, and tomatoes. Pour on the dressing and stir to coat. Add the pepitas and stir again. Serve warm or cold.
This lentil quinoa salad is really filling – the lentils and the quinoa both have a lot of protein, so it’s a nice summer meal. Make it for dinner and serve the leftovers for lunch the next day.