Vegan blueberry crumble bars are loaded with berries and topped with a crispy oatmeal crust.
I was actually going to share a popsicle recipe today, but as I type this it is 46 degrees outside, and a popsicle sounds ridiculous right now. A blueberry crumble bar sounds much more appropriate.
I made these over Memorial Day weekend, and my favorite way to eat them was warmed up for breakfast in the morning. My boys’ favorite way to eat them was not at all, because they refuse to touch blueberries with a ten foot pole. Which is mind-boggling to me, because blueberries are the best! Hopefully they will outgrow that aversion. Until then, more for me!
These blueberry crumble bars are really easy to put together, which is why I usually go for a berry crisp or crumble rather than a pie. A pie involves much more time and work – making, rolling, and chilling the dough – but a crumble or crisp just involves mixing up the topping and baking everything. So easy, and that leaves me more time for other summer activities.
- 2½ cups gluten free oats
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend (all purpose flour works as well)
- ¾ cups light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan buttery spread, cut into cubes
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, place the gluten free oats, gluten free flour blend, vegan butter spread, brown sugar, and salt. Use a pastry blender to mix it together. The mixture should resemble large crumbs, and there should be some balls of brown sugar and butter.
- Place half of the crumble mixture in the bottom of a 9x9 square baking dish. Use your hands to pat it down.
- Bake the bottom crust for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Put the blueberries in the pan, and spread evenly over the crust. Top with the remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool before slicing into bars.
How about you? Are you a pie person, or a crumble person?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017