A delicious chocolate mug cake made with fresh blackberries. This is a fun twist on a chocolate muffin for breakfast!
Do you ever get bored with your breakfast options?
I do get bored at breakfast time. I love easy make ahead breakfasts like chia seed pudding, or overnight oats, but sometimes I forget to make them ahead of time, and then I’m out of luck. And I do like smoothies, because they are fast and healthy, but sometimes I don’t want a big cold drink first thing on a winter morning.
And to be even more truthful, sometimes I eat chocolate for breakfast. But only in emergency situations. ;)
But since chocolate is yummy at any time, I thought maybe I’d just make a quick little breakfast-y mug cake and see how it turned out. Spoiler alert – this dark chocolate blackberry mug cake is delicious. And it’s gluten free, vegan, nut free, and top 8 free.
How is a chocolate mug cake acceptable for breakfast, you ask? Well, for one thing, I loaded it up with lots of fresh blackberries.
But if this is too sweet for you for breakfast, try it for dessert or a mid-afternoon snack. It’s delicious no matter when you enjoy it.
What is a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is a single serving cake that you make in a mug or ramekin, and then cook in your microwave. It’s a quick and easy dessert to make, and it’s also great because you won’t have tons of leftovers around. Not that I mind tons of leftover cake! :)
- gluten free flour blend
- coconut sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- dairy free chocolate chips
- fresh blackberries
Blackberries are very good for you – they’re high in vitamin K, fiber, and antioxidants, plus they are delicious. They also contain magnesium, which is good for reducing stress.
- try a different fruit like blueberries, raspberries, or fresh cherries
- use a different sugar, like brown sugar or date sugar
- add a few white chocolate chips to the top of this mug cake
- make an easy frosting for this cake with this chocolate avocado pudding
Traditional Oven Variation
This could be made in a regular oven if you don’t have a microwave. Use an oven safe ramekin, bake at 350 degrees F, and keep an eye on it – it will take about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your ramekin.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dark Chocolate Blackberry Mug Cake.
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend or all-purpose flour if you are not gluten free
- 1 ½ Tablespoons coconut sugar or regular sugar if you prefer
- 1¾ Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or coconut oil
- ⅙ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅙ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 ½ – 3 Tablespoons water amount may vary based on the flour blend you use
- 1½ Tablespoons dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 10-12 fresh blackberries
- Place the gluten free flour, coconut sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a mug and whisk together.
- Add the organic canola oil, vinegar, and water and stir. If the batter seems too thick, drizzle in a little more water.
- Stir in the fresh blackberries and dark chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 70 seconds at 70% power. Note: ALL microwaves are different! You may need to adjust your cooking time based on your microwave.
- Enjoy! You can top this with yogurt, hemp seeds, more fresh fruit, or just enjoy it as is.
So, what do you think? Chocolate for breakfast? Yay or nay?