A light and easy no-churn blueberry ice cream recipe. This ice cream is simple, delicious, and just right for hot summer days.
Who doesn’t love a good no-churn ice cream recipe? And if it’s dairy free, even better, right?
There’s just something so neat about blending up frozen bananas and having them magically turn into ice cream. It never gets old, at least over here. It’s nice to be able to make it in a hurry, and it’s a great recipe to try if you don’t have an ice cream maker.
Our favorite way to enjoy banana ice cream is to add some cocoa powder, which turns it into super rich and decadent chocolate ice cream – you can barely taste the banana when you do it that way!
This time I wanted to do a fruit flavor, and we had lots of frozen blueberries in the house, so I made no-churn blueberry ice cream. It was very light and delicious, and I love the color – it’s a pretty shade of purple.
I have a decent blender, and even though it’s not a Vitamix, it works really well for blending frozen bananas. We like to have sliced bananas ready to go in our freezer at all times, and when we want to make ice cream, we just take them out and let them soften a tiny bit, maybe for five minutes or so, just so they are not rock hard.
Can you make blueberry ice cream with fresh blueberries?
Either fresh or frozen blueberries work well for this recipe. But if you choose to use fresh blueberries, you still need to freeze them! They add to the texture, and unfrozen berries will be too wet.
How do you make no-churn banana ice cream?
- Take your frozen bananas and berries and place them in a food processor or blender.
- Allow them to thaw very slightly – maybe 5 minutes or so.
- Blend on high speed until they become a creamy, delicious treat!
Can I make this ice cream with different fruits?
Yes, you can use different berries if you like. However, the bananas are pretty necessary because that’s what gives this ice cream its creamy texture.
Can this be frozen?
If you freeze this ice cream, it becomes very hard, and unscoopable. I recommend eating it right away!
This blueberry ice cream recipe is:
- light and refreshing
- full of fresh blueberry flavor
- healthy and dairy free!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Banana Blueberry Ice Cream.
- 1 cup frozen banana coins
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Remove the frozen fruit from the freezer, and let it sit for about five minutes, so it softens up a little bit.
- Put all three ingredients in the blender, and start to blend, using the pulse button. It will be difficult to blend at first, and you might have to shake the pitcher to redistribute the banana pieces so that it will keep blending.
- Blend until very thick and smooth.
- Scoop out and serve immediately.
- Makes one large serving, or two small servings.
Have you made banana ice cream in the blender before? What’s your favorite add-in?
This recipe was originally published in July 2014.