This fresh and colorful picnic corn salad is sure to be a crowd pleaser! This is a great side dish for a barbecue or potluck.
It’s the 21st! Time for another Recipe Redux link up. And this month’s theme was Fresh from the Garden, which is perfect, because summer produce is just about my favorite thing right now. The Farmer’s Market is bursting with local fruits and veggies, which makes it so easy to make healthy and tasty meals.
We’re so happy that we have a lot of Farmer’s Markets in our area. There’s a huge one on Saturday, and a smaller one on Sunday that we shop at pretty regularly. In addition to those, there is actually a mid-week market at Darryl’s work, so we are never out of fresh produce in the summer.
This recipe for picnic corn salad is one that I have been making for years…I just now realized I’ve never shared it here! I’ve adapted it slightly from Desperation Entertaining. It’s one of those recipes that is so easy to throw together (it only takes 10 minutes) and makes a really big impression. The sweet corn, fresh zucchini, peppers, and cilantro in a simple vinaigrette just screams summertime. If you’re having a barbecue, take the time to make this corn salad – it’s much more fun than a bagged salad, and everyone loves it.
Why you’ll love this picnic corn salad:
- it’s fresh and colorful
- it’s naturally gluten free and vegan
- people LOVE it and will ask you for the recipe
- it travels very well!
- 4 cups frozen bicolor corn kernels
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons organic canola oil or other neutral tasting oil of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Put the corn kernels in a colander and rinse under cold water until thawed. Drain well.
- Place the corn kernels, onion, red pepper, and zucchini in large bowl and stir to combine.
- Mince the cilantro and add that to the bowl.
- Pour the vinegar into a small bowl and add the sugar, oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and stir well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
What have you made with summer veggies lately?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017