This fresh and colorful picnic corn salad is sure to be a crowd pleaser! Full of peppers, onions, zucchini, and corn, this is a great side dish for a barbecue or potluck.
Don’t you love easy, summery recipes that are naturally gluten free and vegan? There’s nothing like a simple salad to bring to a picnic or potluck.
Once summer and spring hits, it’s so fun to make all the tasty vegetable recipes. . The Farmer’s Market is bursting with local fruits and veggies, which makes it so easy to make healthy and tasty meals.
We’re so happy that we have a lot of Farmer’s Markets in our area. There’s a huge one on Saturday, and a smaller one on Sunday that we shop at pretty regularly. In addition to those, we grow some of our own vegetables in our backyard garden, so we’re never short of fresh produce.
This corn salad is so tasty with its sweet and tangy dressing. It reminds me of this corn, bean, and feta cheese dip that we used to make all the time. If you can have dairy, it’s a wonderful appetizer!
What is picnic corn salad?
Picnic corn salad is a salad that consists of corn and other vegetables, like zucchini, peppers, and onions, and is dressed with a sweet and tangy salad dressing. It’s the perfect side dish for grilled chicken or burgers. It actually improves as it sits in the fridge, so this is an easy recipe to make ahead of time.
What if I can’t have corn?
This dressing is really delicious, and would work well with a lot of different combinations. Try black beans, or diced tomatoes, or even shredded carrots in place of corn.
This recipe for picnic corn salad is one that I have been making for years…I just now realized I’ve never shared it here! I’ve adapted it slightly from Desperation Entertaining. It’s one of those recipes that is so easy to throw together (it only takes 10 minutes) and makes a really big impression.
The sweet corn, fresh zucchini, peppers, and cilantro in a simple vinaigrette just screams summertime. If you’re having a barbecue, take the time to make this corn salad – it’s much more fun than a bagged salad, and everyone loves it.
Why you’ll love this picnic corn salad:
- it’s fresh and colorful
- it’s naturally gluten free and vegan
- people LOVE it and will ask you for the recipe
- it travels very well!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Picnic Corn Salad.
Simple, fresh, tasty picnic corn salad is a summertime favorite!
- 4 cups frozen bicolor corn kernels
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil or other neutral tasting oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Put the corn kernels in a colander and rinse under cold water until thawed. Drain well.
- Place the corn kernels, onion, red pepper, and zucchini in large bowl and stir to combine.
- Mince the cilantro and add that to the bowl.
- Pour the vinegar into a small bowl and add the sugar, oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and stir well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This salad should stay fresh in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
If you can't have corn, try shredded carrots, black beans, or green beans.
What have you made with summer veggies lately?
This post was originally published in July 2015. It has been updated.