An easy and healthy slow cooker chili – sweet potato, quinoa, and beans make this a filling and flavorful dish!
This is just going to be one of those weeks. I can already tell. I have a recital on Friday, with rehearsals during the week with my pianist, Darryl has lessons to teach, the boys have homeschool activities to attend – it’s just going to be really crazy.
It’s times like these that I need to rely on my slow cooker. If I don’t rely on it, we won’t eat. :) Or we’ll wind up eating frozen pizza and chicken nuggets.
But this easy recipe is so filling and so flavorful, and it truly just takes a few minutes to throw in the slow cooker, so I know I will make it at least once this week.
The hardest part is dicing the sweet potatoes! Everything else is quick – just dump it in the slow cooker, put the lid on, and go about your day. It couldn’t be any easier to make, and it’s very hearty and comforting for a chilly winter evening.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 32 ounce box of vegetable broth
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons water
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro, green onions for garnish
- Place the olive oil, chopped onions, sweet potatoes, beans, broth, quinoa, corn, and spices in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- After the cooking time, combine the cornstarch and water in a small container with a lid and shake well, then add to the chili. Stir well. Place the lid on and let it cook for 15 more minutes to thicken.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017