This is an easy, hearty sweet potato quinoa chili – this filling and flavorful dish is made in the slow cooker. This is a great recipe to make during busy weeks!
We all have busy days and weeks – when it seems like there’s no way to follow a meal plan or make homemade dishes each night.
During weeks like that, I’ve come to rely on my slow cooker. It’s awesome for making delicious curries, soups, and chili. This recipe for sweet potato quinoa chili is one of my favorite main dishes.
This vegan chili is so super simple to make. It’s full of easy to find ingredients, and it just takes a few minutes to put together.
The hardest part is dicing the sweet potatoes! Everything else is quick – just dump it in the slow cooker, put the lid on, and go about your day. It couldn’t be any easier to make, and it’s very hearty and comforting for a chilly winter evening.
Your house will smell awesome while it cooks, and if you want to make a batch of vegan cornbread to go alongside it, that would be the perfect accompaniment.
If you don’t want to use your slow cooker for this recipe, you can make it on the stovetop. See recipe notes for instructions.
- Quinoa – You can use white or red quinoa for this recipe. Either will work very well.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sometimes people get confused on what sweet potatoes are. You want sweet potatoes that have reddish skin and bright orange flesh. Not yams, which have brown skin and white flesh.
- Beans – I like using a mix of black beans and white beans in this chili. You could also use pinto beans or even some lentils if you like.
If you’d rather not use sweet potatoes, you can use butternut squash, acorn squash, regular potatoes, or even a mix of carrots and zucchini if you wish.
If you can’t have legumes, try adding more veggies in place of the beans.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the diced sweet potatoes, quinoa, beans, broth, and all the other ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Place the lid on, and cook for 4 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low heat. After the cooking time, mix the cornstarch with water, and add to the slow cooker. Cook for an additional 15 minutes to thicken the broth. Enjoy!
🍽 Looking for more comforting dinner recipes? Join my community to get delicious gluten free, dairy free, and top 9 free recipes in your inbox each week!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 14 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces white beans drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- diced green onion
- Place the olive oil, chopped onions, sweet potatoes, beans, broth, quinoa, corn, and spices in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- After the cooking time, combine the cornstarch and water in a small container with a lid and shake well, then add to the chili. Stir well. Place the lid on and let it cook for 15 more minutes to thicken.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.