An easy and healthy sweet potato quinoa chili – this filling and flavorful dish is made in the slow cooker. This is a great recipe to make during busy weeks!
We all have busy days and weeks – when it seems like there’s no way to follow a meal plan or make balanced recipes each night.
During weeks like that, I’ve come to rely on my slow cooker. It’s awesome for making delicious curries, soups, and chili. This recipe for sweet potato quinoa chili is one of my favorites.
This sweet potato quinoa chili is so super simple to make. It’s full of healthy ingredients, and it just takes a few minutes to put together.
The hardest part is dicing the sweet potatoes! Everything else is quick – just dump it in the slow cooker, put the lid on, and go about your day. It couldn’t be any easier to make, and it’s very hearty and comforting for a chilly winter evening.
Your house will smell awesome while it cooks, and if you want to make a batch of vegan cornbread to go alongside it, that would be the perfect accompaniment.
You could also serve a green salad, or keep it very simple and serve chips and salsa on the side.
What kind of quinoa is best for chili?
You can use white or red quinoa for this chili recipe. Either will work very well.
What can be used instead of sweet potatoes in this chili recipe?
You can use butternut squash, acorn squash, or even a mix of carrots and zucchini if you wish.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 14 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces white beans drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- diced green onion
- Place the olive oil, chopped onions, sweet potatoes, beans, broth, quinoa, corn, and spices in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- After the cooking time, combine the cornstarch and water in a small container with a lid and shake well, then add to the chili. Stir well. Place the lid on and let it cook for 15 more minutes to thicken.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
You can use white or red quinoa.
Feel free to use whatever vegetables you wish! If sweet potatoes don't work for you, use any root vegetable.
If you don't want to make this in the slow cooker, you can make it on the stovetop. Bring it to a boil, and then cook on medium heat until the quinoa is cooked and the potatoes are tender.
If you don’t want to use your slow cooker for this recipe, you can make it on the stovetop. See recipe notes for instructions.
This post was originally published in February 2016. It has been updated.