Sliced mushrooms, zucchini, lots of tomatoes, and a few red pepper flakes combine to make this spicy veggie pasta sauce. This easy homemade sauce is delicious served over your favorite gluten free pasta. This is a nice, light, springtime dinner recipe.
I love a simple pasta dish for dinner. Especially in the spring and summer, when the weather’s warm…it’s nice to fall back on an easy pasta recipe with lots of veggies.
This spicy veggie pasta sauce is full of flavor, but so simple to make.
Fresh garlic, onions, white wine, lots of veggies and red pepper flakes make an amazingly delicious sauce. Make this for dinner soon! It’s an easy and tasty way to get more vegetables in your diet.
- olive oil
- canned diced tomatoes
- white wine
- Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- You could use any white wine that you have on hand. I used Moscato, which is a sweeter wine and I thought the sweetness was a nice addition to this sauce.
- Red pepper flakes are optional. If you’re serving this to children, I would leave them off. You can always just have a shaker of red pepper on the table if you like.
- If you love garlic, feel free to add some extra garlic to this recipe!
Step by Step Instructions
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms, zucchini, and white wine, and cook until tender.
2. Add the tomatoes and spices to the pan.
3. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
4. Serve over your favorite pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta
There are many brands of gluten free pasta to try. For this recipe, I used Jovial Brown Rice Penne. You can use any brand or shape of pasta you like!
Some brands of gluten free pasta to check out are Jovial, Ancient Harvest, and Tinkyada.
- Add different vegetables if you like! Instead of zucchini, try eggplant. Try baby bella mushrooms instead of white mushrooms. You can be creative with this recipe.
- You can add nutritional yeast to this sauce if you’d like to add a cheesy flavor without the dairy. Try starting with a tablespoon and go up from there.
- If you don’t want to add the wine, you can add some vegetable broth instead.
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spicy Veggie Pasta Sauce.
Fresh vegetables, tomatoes, and spices combine to make this spicy veggie pasta sauce, which is perfect when served over gluten free pasta.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 small zucchini chopped
- 12 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes with garlic and oregano
- ⅔ cup white wine I used Moscato, because that’s what we had, and I think the little bit of sweetness was nice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ⅓ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Gluten free pasta prepared according to package directions
In a large skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Add the chopped zucchini, sliced mushrooms, and wine and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and spices, and raise the heat to high. Once the sauce is bubbling, reduce heat to low and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
Serve over the pasta of your choice. I used Jovial Gluten Free Penne pasta.
Nutrition facts are for the sauce only.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 4 days.
Use whatever shape of pasta you like – spaghetti, penne, farfalle, macaroni, etc.
You can add more vegetables to this if you like. Try red or green peppers, different mushrooms, or yellow squash.