These no bake chocolate sunbutter bars are rich and decadent, and free of the top allergens! The sunbutter and cookie crumb layer is covered with a smooth chocolate layer. This is an easy dessert that’s reminiscent of peanut butter cups.
I love a good no bake recipe, don’t you? When you want to make a quick treat, there’s nothing like a recipe that doesn’t need to spend time in the oven.
Since it’s Halloween, I have candy on my mind, and I thought it’d be a good time to share this recipe for sunbutter bars.
These bars have two delicious layers – the bottom is a sunbutter and cookie crumb layer, and the chocolate topping is made of dairy free chocolate chips and more sunbutter, for a super smooth texture.
The combination results in a taste that’s very similar to Reese’s peanut butter cups.
If you’re new to sunbutter, this might be a good way to try it out! My husband isn’t usually crazy about sunbutter (unlike me – I’m a huge fan!), but he did love it in this recipe.
And he agreed, there was something very Reese’s-like about these bars. They are really delicious, and you won’t believe they’re free of the top allergens!
Allergy friendly ingredients
- creamy sunbutter (you can use crunchy if you prefer)
- dairy free chocolate chips
- gluten free cookie crumbs (I used Enjoy Life Honey Vanilla Graham Cookies)
- vegan buttery spread
- powdered sugar
If you are vegan, you will want to find an alternative to the honey graham cookies. You could try Enjoy Life Sugar Cookies, or any crunchy cookie or graham cracker that you like.
How to make chocolate sunbutter bars
- Make cookie crumbs in the food processor.
- Mix up the cookie crumbs, melted vegan butter spread, sunbutter, and powdered sugar.
- Spread the sunbutter layer in a parchment paper lined pan.
- Melt the dairy free chocolate chips. Mix in the sunbutter and vegan buttery spread.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the sunbutter layer.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Watch this video to learn how to make these decadent bars:
Substitutions and variations
- Use any kind of cookie that works for your dietary needs. Try sugar cookies, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, etc.
- You can use any type of nut butter or nut butter alternative that works for you. Wow Butter or pumpkin seed butter would work well.
- You could make these in a muffin tin that’s lined with cupcake liners if you prefer to have these look more like candy.
More no bake treats to try
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
No Bake Chocolate Sunbutter Bars
Sunbutter, cookie crumbs, and a rich chocolate layer combine to create a rich and decadent treat. These no bake bars are sure to become a favorite!
For the sunbutter layer:
For the chocolate layer:
Place the cookies or graham crackers in the food processor. To get 2 cups, I used one box of Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies plus 4 extra cookies. Depending on if you use the same cookies, or different ones, or graham crackers, this amount may vary.
Pulse until the cookies become fine crumbs.
Pour the crumbs into a bowl. Melt the vegan buttery spread in the microwave and add it to the cookie crumbs.
Add the sunbutter and powdered sugar and stir well.
Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Spread the sunbutter mixture out evenly in the pan, smoothing it with the back of a spoon.
Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high for one minute. Stir, then microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until smooth and melted.
Add the sunbutter and vegan buttery spread to the chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
Pour the chocolate mixture onto the sunbutter layer and smooth it out.
Refrigerate the bars for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
Slice the bars with a very sharp knife. You can slice them in the pan, or use the parchment to remove the whole block from the pan and slice them on a cutting board.
These are very rich! I recommend slicing them small. Try 5 rows with 5 bars in each row.
Store these in the refrigerator – they should stay fresh for at least a week.
You could try freezing them. I think that would work, but I haven’t tried it. If you freeze them, store in a ziploc freezer bag.
This makes a lot of bars, and they are rich! It’s okay to cut this recipe in half if you prefer. If you do that, I recommend using an 8×4 inch loaf pan.