These vegan coconut milk chocolate mini muffins are tender, light, and delicious. These are great for packing in lunch boxes or enjoying as an after school snack.
Sometimes you just want a small treat, and that’s the perfect time to make a batch of these chocolate mini muffins! These are the perfect snackable size for kids or adults.
This recipe is so simple, but the results are extra delicious. These chocolate muffins have a wonderful, fudgy flavor, and the perfect moist texture. I love these with a cup of tea or dairy free hot chocolate.
If you’re searching for easy, nut free desserts to make for your children’s lunches, these are just the thing! You could even make a double batch and freeze them. That way you have some stashed in the freezer and can just grab a few as needed.
- Flour – I used spelt flour to make these, and it works well. Either whole spelt flour or white spelt flour is a good choice for this recipe.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We like Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread. You can probably use any brand of vegan butter that works for your dietary needs.
- Cocoa Powder – We like Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, but if you have a different brand you prefer, that should work just as well.
- Yogurt – Non-dairy yogurt adds moisture to this recipe. You can use any type of vanilla yogurt that you like – coconut milk, soy milk, or any other plant milk yogurt should work just fine.
- If you don’t want to use spelt flour, you can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- If you can’t find a brand of yogurt that works for your particular dietary needs, go ahead and try unsweetened applesauce. That should work very well.
- Coconut oil or organic canola oil can be substituted for the melted vegan buttery spread.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir with a spoon.
- Line a muffin tin with liners, or grease it with vegan buttery spread. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing them.
Store these in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze these – store in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Coconut Milk Chocolate Mini Muffins (Vegan).
- 1 cup whole spelt flour whole wheat flour would also work
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk or a different non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup non-dairy vanilla yogurt or unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread melted
- 1 ½ Tablespoons organic cane sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two mini muffin tins with paper liners. You will need about 20 liners. Put the 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spelt flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Add the melted buttery spread, yogurt, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
- Mix together with a spoon.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the mini muffin cups. The batter should come up to the top of the paper liner. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes. The top of the muffin should spring back when pressed.
- Let the muffins cool for about 15 minutes before removing them from the pan.