Vegan chocolate zucchini muffins are light and fluffy, and so decadent with chocolate chunks on top. These are a wonderful breakfast or dessert to try this summer!
Zucchini…can you ever have too much of a good thing?
Well, if you have a garden, once you get to a certain point in the summer, you might say yes! You can have too much zucchini.
I know we often have a countertop that’s overflowing with them, and that’s when I start baking in earnest.
I find that adding shredded zucchini cake or muffins helps seal in the moisture, and prevents them from drying out. These chocolate muffins are so tender and delicious – you’d never guess that they’re egg free and allergy friendly!
Can you make zucchini muffins without eggs?
Yes, these are so light and fluffy, even without eggs! A little applesauce helps bind these muffins together without making them heavy.
Can you taste or see the grated zucchini in these muffins?
Nope! I grate the zucchini by hand, and it can’t be detected in the baked muffins. My sons eat these without any complaints!
If you use a food processor to grate the zucchini, it’s possible the shreds may be longer, and they might be more visible.
How do you make vegan chocolate zucchini muffins?
- You’ll need to grate some zucchini, and set it aside
- Mix up the muffin batter, then add the grated zucchini.
- Stir well, then pour the batter into a muffin pan, and top with dairy free chocolate chunks.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. That’s all there is to it!
These vegan chocolate zucchini muffins are:
- perfect for using up those summer zucchini
- great for packing in lunches
- yummy with a cup of tea or coffee
If you make these, or any of my other recipes, be sure to share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog! I love to see what you’re making!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins.
Vegan chocolate zucchini muffins - these are rich, chocolatey, and a delicious way to use up garden zucchini!
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour You can use gluten free flour if you wish.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1-2 small zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread melted
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chunks optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the wet ingredients, and stir well.
Stir in the grated zucchini. Add the chocolate chunks and stir.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool then enjoy!
You can use gluten free flour if you like - just use a lighter blend, like my homemade gluten free flour mix.
You can also use some oat flour or almond flour - just use a 1/2 cup, and then a cup of spelt flour or gluten free flour.
These are also so good with vanilla ice cream. Maybe not as a breakfast item, but you can decide on that. :) I’ve never said no to a chocolate breakfast.
This recipe was originally published in September 2013. It has been updated with new photos and an improved recipe.