Egyptian lentils and rice are hearty and tasty, and so easy to make in the crockpot!
This is a super easy recipe that I got from a friend. Just throw it all in the crockpot and it cooks super fast! I did it with red lentils this time and the cooking time was only about two hours. It does not look super pretty when it’s done…just sort of brown (that’s why you just see a picture of the dry ingredients). But it tastes good and your house will smell awesome!
Egyptian Lentils and Rice.
- Place the olive oil into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Turn the pot onto the highest setting and add the onions.
- Allow the onions cook in the oil for 10-15 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, including the stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Stir the mixture while it is in the crockpot. If it is dry, add a little water If it's soup-like, remove lid for a little while, or turn heat to high setting.
- NOTE: Start with 5 cups water or broth.
- That way it won't be"mushy" if you make this recipe while you're out for the entire day.
- You can always add more water or broth, but it's hard to"un-mush" lentils& rice!
- If you use red lentils, keep an eye on the time, they will probably cook in 2 hours or so.
Egyptian lentils and rice makes a great side dish, or a great main course with some crusty bread and a light green salad. I love the different spices in this lentil recipe, it’s a nice way to eat lentils and a twist on the usual recipes.
Egyptian lentils and rice are:
- perfect for crazy hectic weeks
- great for vegans and vegetarians
- delicious and allergy friendly