Everyday is a great day for this easy and delicious lentil soup! This recipe is gluten free and vegan.
On a chilly day, there’s nothing like a good bowl of hearty and healthy lentil soup. And if you love a good vegetarian soup recipe, this lentil soup is for you! It’s packed with protein from delicious green lentils, and full of flavor from onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
Green lentils work really well in this recipe, but you can use any variety of lentils that you like. If you use black lentils, your cooking time may be longer. If you’re in a hurry, using red lentils will definitely shorten the cooking time.
This delicious lentil soup is:
- simple and easy to make
- gluten free and vegan
- perfect for a cozy winter meal
You can use either vegetable broth or chicken broth, and if you have homemade broth, that would work, too. However you make it, this lentil soup recipe is easy, delicious, and healthy.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots sliced, frozen carrots are okay
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups green lentils picked over and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 ounces vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- sea salt
- black pepper
- In a large pot, cook onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until soft, for about 7 minutes. Add garlic, stir. Add tomato paste, stir.
- Add lentils, garlic powder, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add vinegar, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, or more to taste. Serve with crackers or bread and butter.
lightly adapted from Everyday Food
These gluten free crackers are a great choice to serve alongside this healthy soup.